Advertising Online/An Online Advertising Interview

Question
Hello, I am currently a senior at Loyola University Chicago studying advertising and public relations. I am currently working on my senior capstone project and was hoping to ask you some questions regarding the online advertising industry and your experience.

1. How did you get your start in online advertising?

2. What is the most difficult obstacle when reaching a target audience online?

3. In your opinion, how effective is online advertising in communicating a message compared to traditional forms of advertising such as newspapers and print?

4. What education and experiences prepared you for online advertising?

5. Many CMOs are raising their digital advertising budgets, creating more jobs. How is the competition by comparison to the opportunities?

6. What advice would you give to a graduating student who is planning to go into online advertising?

I appreciate any information and answers that you can share.

Answer
Hello Matthew,

Please find my responses below:

It wasn't a planned move. I was looking into distributing and / or exporting industrial food processing equipment and quickly learned that advertising and marketing would be my biggest challenge as I wasn't already in that business. Early on I knew digital would play a critical role in global business (even the import / export of industrial equipment which at the time, wanted nothing to do with the online world). I bought books, signed up for newsletters, read whitepapers, joined forums, and pretty much did anything I could to learn about building websites, marketing them, and ultimately advertising them online. The passion overtook my desire to get into import / export and I just continued learning and helping people with their online marketing and advertising as a consultant.

Knowing the right time to reach them. Just because you know an audience likes something doesn't mean you'll get them when they're ready to buy, or sign up for a newsletter, or whatever it is you want them to do. Fortunately we have much more data so it's easier to determine when an audience is more likely to accept your offer / messaging ... which actually creates the true obstacle. TMI. Too much information, not collected and analyzed correctly leads to either poor use or no use at all.

The effectiveness lies in the message itself. Unless you're talking about differences in reach or verticals, it's unfair to say one is better than the other. Moreover, it's tough to create a successful campaign on a broad scale without mixing different formats like digital, TV, outdoor, print, etc. It all boils down to the right message, at the right time, to the right person. When all these are met, the medium is just a medium.

Food service. Waiting tables at busy restaurants while I was in college taught me most of what I needed to know about dealing with clients, partners, employees, and bosses. In my specific case, I worked in pretty fast-paced restaurants with lots of personalities in the front of the house as well as the back. Everyone made a lot of money because the food was expensive and that meant most everyone had some bit of eccentricity ... not unlike people in the advertising world.

Wherever there's ad dollars, competition is fierce. Ultimately, it's the publisher that's doing innovative things that interest advertisers that enjoy limited competition. The ones that produce and sell what everyone else is selling live in perpetual fear that they'll lose their ad dollars (and they usually do). By the way, CMOs typically move dollars to innovative ideas backed by lots of data.

Reconsider. In all seriousness, it's a tough industry... especially early on. You work lots of hours in stressful fast-paced environments for people that aren't always the nicest. That said, the learnings are incredible and depending where your career takes you, the opportunities to travel and earn a great living are better than in many other professions. The other piece of advice I'd give is that you encourage yourself to be innovative and do things no one else is doing. A company that doesn't innovate is a company that doesn't deserve your talents. All the best!

Advertising Online

Ivan Jimenez