Aerobics/Losing Weight

Question
Hi, I've been doing aerobics like running and elliptical for about 1 hour a day for 3-4 days per week and I've plateaued.  I'm eating the same but I still have 10 pounds to lose.  What do I do?
Thanks,
Cat

Answer
Hi Cat! Thanks for the question!  Sometimes when we exercise regularly our body starts to adapt after time and will actually learn how to do the same activity without burning as much fuel (calories).  It's sort of our body's human nature to reserve energy.  So while I love to run at the same pace often I will have to mix it up so my body doesn't get used to the exercises I am doing.  

What I would suggest is start doing some interval training.  So go ahead and run and use the elliptical but instead of the same pace you were doing, let's try an interval routine.  Warm up for 5 minutes, then for the next 3 minutes run at your normal pace, then run a lot faster for the next 2 minutes, then recover at normal pace for 1 or 2 minutes, then repeat.  Do this for the whole hour.  This will get your heart rate high, then really high and then back down again and repeat.  By doing this, you may still end up burning the same amount of calories during the workout but your metabolism will be a lot higher for a longer period of time and therefore you will burn more calories.  

Also, for these last ten pounds I would add in some more exercise and decrease your calories some until you lose these last ten pounds and then you can return to your normal routine.  Keep an eye on your weight and if you see yourself starting to gain some back start this routine again until you go back to the regular weight.  Hope this helps and keep me posted on your progress.
Thanks,
Kristina

Aerobics

Kristina Shane