Aerobics/Walking to Maintain Weight

Hi Kristine

I have spent the last few years recovering from an eating disorder and am now at a stage where the doctor says it is ok for me to maintain my weight. The trouble is that i'm not really sure how much exercise to do in order to maintain a stable weight - and having suffered from exercise addiction in the past the doctor says it is best to limit myself to just walking. How many minutes of walking a day do you think is the minimum amount for weight maintenance?

Thank you!

Hi Lila,
I can't really give you a suggestion without knowing any information about you.  What you can do is to use a free online program that you can input all your information such as your age, height and weight and it will give you an idea of how many calories you eat vs how much calories you burn to maintain your weight.  It also depends on how fast you are walking.  You would need to know how much distance you are walking in what amount of time to determine how many calories you are burning and that will tell you if you are burning enough calories to maintain your weight.  Some good websites are or  Both of these websites will allow you to log your food and exercise to see if you are doing enough to maintain your weight.  This is going to be the best way to do that.  Hope this helps and good luck!

Kristina Shane

Many women struggle with losing weight and I was once one of those women. Now I am a NASM Certified Personal Trainer and I've spent many years researching the best way for women to get healthy, lose weight and maintain it. I hold a BS in Sports Management and Iím currently working on my MS in Health and Physical Education. I can answer any questions on women's fitness.

Having struggled with weight all my life as well as many health problems such as Lupus and Crohnís disease Iíve researched all my adult life on how to lose weight and keep it off and how to stay healthy when you are sick. I have my own personal training company, KrisCross Training, and Iíve been helping men, women and children get healthy and stay healthy for years. Check out my website,, or my blog

IDEA Health and Fitness Association Sharecare Elite Trainer AllExperts Expert in Strength Training, Womenís Fitness, Aerobics and Living with Obesity

BS in Sports Management-Fitness and Nutrition Track-California University of PA Certified Health and Physical Education Teacher