Aerobics/Abs , back and legs strengthening

I am 62 years old, have been diagnosed an herniated disc ( L5 ,S1)  2 years ago, surgery was not necessary, am on a conservative therapy with regular acupuncture.
Would like to strengthen my abs ,back and legs muscles in a safe and simple way.
What simple and effective excercices do you preconise?
Kind regards

Hi Ibrahim thanks for the question.  I think its great that you are getting acupuncture, I hope that it is helping a little.  For now I would focus on exercises that strengthen your core without much impact or undue stress.  So try doing various plank poses.  Here is a good site to reference:

Avoid doing anything high impact, please modify anything that has any sort of impact.  

You can also do squats and lunges making sure to avoid bending your back while bending your knees.  Seated and standing leg raises are also good as long as you are conscious and aware of using your core to stabilize your back.

I hope this helps thanks for the question.

Kim Farmer

I can answer questions related to aerobic conditioning, resistance training, toning up, weight loss, nutrition, and using proper form.

6 years as a personal trainer and group exercise instructor. Owner of Mile High Fitness, LLC. Corporate fitness and wellness services and in home and online personal training services. Two-time State Open Champion in tennis and author of two books and several published articles.

Governor's Council for Physical Activity, IDEA Health And Fitness Organization, Colorado Black Women for Political Action, North Metro Chamber of Commerce, Denver Chamber of Commerce, Northglenn Parks and Recreation Advisory Council

Primetime for Seniors,,, African American Voices, Urban Spectrum

Certified by ACE (American Council on Exercise) and AFAA (Aerobics and Fitness Association of America).