Aerobics/How to get six pack

Question
Hello Ken

I'll like to know how can I get a flat stomach and six pack.

I run 2x a week around 30-40 mins and also do abs exercise like crunches, reverse crunch etc usually after jogging.

However the stomach is still slightly bulging (I am considered very thin, 120lb) and the abs is still not defined yet.

Thank you. Your reply is very much appreciated.

Eddie

Answer
Ken Alan
Ken Alan  
Hi Eddie,

A simple question with a simple, though not easy to implement, answer.  Getting a six-pack is a combination of two things - abdominal strength and low-body fat.  Even though you say you are considered very thin (120 lbs means different things depending on whether you're 5 feet tall or 6 feet tall), if you still carry some body fat around your middle, it will be hard to see the muscle definition.  For example, you can see the six-pack on professional-level bodybuilders because their bodyfat is so low. Yet football players, Olympic weightlifters, etc. may have just as strong if not stronger abdominal muscles, but you likely will not see the definition (the six-pack) because they have a higher percentage of bodyfat.

If you're concerned about losing more weight, consider doing strength training to build up your body a little.  That way you can continue to drop some bodyfat without looking or being "too thin".  The strength training will also benefit your running and make you less susceptible to injury so you can keep running, which is good for keeping bodyfat in check.

Without seeing what you look like, you may need to start training your transverse abdominus to have a flatter appearance in the abdominal area.  That's the muscle that pulls in your belly.

Don't know how long you've been training or what your previous exercise history is, so can't really comment on if what you're doing currently is sufficient to get you to your goal.  Also, don't know your diet either, which is a factor in bodyfat levels.  But if you've been doing this for a while and aren't seeing any results at all, you likely need to be doing more than what you're currently doing, or working more effectively with the exercise you're currently doing to get more results from it.  A qualified personal trainer or fitness instructor may be useful for you to work with for a bit if you're serious about your goal.  It's worth it at least to set you up on a program.

Hope this helps!

Aerobics

Ken Alan