Aerobics/Group Fitness Class

I am 31/F, 5ft 2in, small frame, weigh 125lbs with 32-34% body fat.

I just tried out a group fitness class for the 1st time after working out at home with exercise videos for more than 4 years [Pilates, Strength, Yoga, Aerobics, etc].

The trainer made us do a 10min warm-up followed by some kick-boxing interspersed with planks & crunches, a short toning session with dumbbells and a short cooldown. Now, the trainer/instructor did not correct form of the class, but kept pushing us to do the exercises faster. He has been known to get results in the members who attend (weight loss, tone, strength, etc). I don't want to suffer from exercise-related injury which I think the members will suffer if they keep this up with him. At the same time, I tend to not push myself hard enough when I am working out solo at home.

I can't seem to make up my mind to join this class for a month [6 times/week] as I need to lose 4-8 lbs within a month for my cousin's wedding.

My primary intention to join this fitness class is that I'll take the morning batch and this will help me become an early riser. I just can't seem to push myself to wake up early to workout. I always work out in the evening after work 3-4 times/week. The added weight loss and tone will be the bonus.

What advice could you give me that will help me make up my mind and come to a decision regarding this. What do I do? Should I join or not?

Hi Caylith!
Congratulations on your decision to exercise to reach a goal, I understand you say you look to lose 4-8 lbs within a month.

I read your message.  Your questions to me are "what do I do?" and "should I join or not?".

I'm going to narrow down your message to two dilemmas - 1)you want to try a group exercise class, but you feel the instructor is not working to decrease the risk of injury to participants and 2) you are pushing to attend this popular class so early in the morning for  motivation to wake-up early and for hopefully reaching your goal faster, eg 4-8 lbs in less than 4 weeks = 1-2 lbs a week, which is doable if you start now.

My question to you is, have you considered becoming an instructor yourself? lol!  I am so proud of you that you recognized that the class you took may be risky, and unfortunately, the instructor may not be taking extra measures to help participants modify moves and/or exercise more safely. Yes, in most classes, participants sign waivers, and yes, there is an inherent risk when you increase physical activity, but it is the instructors responsibility to help participants exercise at their individual fitness levels, ie AFAA's 5 questions
   W: What is the purpose of this exercise?
   A: Are you doing that effectively?
   D: Does this exercise cause any safety concerns?
   C: Can you maintain proper alignment and form for the duration of this exercise?
   F: For whom is this exercise appropriate or inappropriate?

My suggestions
1. Modify your nutritional intake, cut out extra calories/junk food, increase your fiber,increase the healthy values to what you eat, maybe ask a nutritionist for a 4 week meal plan in conjunction with exercise because I don't know what you can or cannot eat.
2. Find a great class in the evening or hire a trainer one-on-one for the short term who can give you safety cues and tailor an exercise program you can do on your own.  Have your trainer CALL you every day you are supposed to be exercising.  I've done this for clients for no extra charge.

For the long haul - Consider becoming an Aerobics and Fitness Association of America AFAA (r) certified group fitness leader  Then, apply for an early morning class to teach - not only will you be forced to get up early in the morning, you will get PAID for it.  That's great motivation for me. LOL!!

I hope this helps you, Caylith.  Feel free to follow-up and let me know how everything turns out, especially if you need help with the AFAA certifications.

Daphne E Brown MS CPRP

I will answer questions concerning exercise, nutrition, health and diseases related to obesity or sedentary lifestyle. I can also answer questions about being an aerobics/group exercise leader or questions about getting certified with AFAA.

Receiving my Masters of Science in Clinical Exercise Physiology, I have been Fitness Director on board Royal Caribbean luxury cruise ships, I have given training seminars for aspiring group exercise leaders; I am certified and I work for Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA). I was Senior Exercise Physiologist and lecturer at the Internationally renowned Pritikin Longevity Center and Spa at Turnberry Island Resort in Miami, Florida for almost 10 years and I was also the Fitness Assessment Coordinator at the exclusive Fisher Island Spa Internazionale on exclusive Fisher Island in Miami Beach (famous residents of the island include Oprah Winfrey, Andre Agassi, and Sharon Gless). I've competed in AAU and NAC Aerobics competitions. Currently, I own a Fitness/Lifestyle planning business. I have been in the Fitness industry for almost 20 years and here on AllExperts since 1999.

B.S. Biology/Chemistry M.S. Clinical Exercise Physiology AFAA Certified and Examiner