Aerobics/Group Fitness Class Question

I am 31/F, 5ft 2in, small frame, weigh 125lbs with 32-34% body fat. I just tried out a group fitness class for the 1st time after working out at home with exercise videos for more than 4 years [Pilates, Strength, Yoga, Aerobics, etc]. Now, the trainer/instructor did not correct form of the class, but kept pushing us to do the exercises faster. He has been known to get results in the members who attend (weight loss, tone, strength, etc). I don't want to suffer from exercise-related injury which I think the members will suffer if they keep this up with him. At the same time, I tend to not push myself hard enough when I am working out solo at home. I can't seem to make up my mind to join this class for a month [6 times/week] as I need to lose 4-8 lbs within a month for my cousin's wedding. My primary intention to join this fitness class is that I'll take the morning batch and this will help me become an early riser. I just can't seem to push myself to wake up early to workout. I always work out in the evening after work 3-4 times/week. The added weight loss and tone will be the bonus. What advice could you give me that will help me make up my mind and come to a decision regarding this. What do I do? Should I join or not?

Hi Caylith,
If you are concerned about injury then get to the class early or stay after and talk with the instructor.  Explain to him that you are concerned about injuries and your form and ask if he can check to make sure you are doing the exercises correctly.  If he can do this then by all means join the class.  Knowing you have a class to go to can be a great motivator than doing it at home alone.  You can also find a person in the class that you can watch each other to make sure you both are in the right form.  This will also help with motivation if you know someone is depending on you to come to class.  Hope this helps and good luck!

Kristina Shane

Many women struggle with losing weight and I was once one of those women. Now I am a NASM Certified Personal Trainer and I've spent many years researching the best way for women to get healthy, lose weight and maintain it. I hold a BS in Sports Management and Iím currently working on my MS in Health and Physical Education. I can answer any questions on women's fitness.

Having struggled with weight all my life as well as many health problems such as Lupus and Crohnís disease Iíve researched all my adult life on how to lose weight and keep it off and how to stay healthy when you are sick. I have my own personal training company, KrisCross Training, and Iíve been helping men, women and children get healthy and stay healthy for years. Check out my website,, or my blog

IDEA Health and Fitness Association Sharecare Elite Trainer AllExperts Expert in Strength Training, Womenís Fitness, Aerobics and Living with Obesity

BS in Sports Management-Fitness and Nutrition Track-California University of PA Certified Health and Physical Education Teacher