Aerobics/Running pain

Question
Dear Kim,

I am 26 male. To keep fit i use to go for running for three sets of 7-minutes each. Last week i tried two sets of 10-minutes. It went well for a few days but now i am feeling a pain in my lower-leg portion. I feel pain mostly when i use steps and while jogging.

It's nearly been a week and still i am having such problem.

I will be pleased if you can kindly help me.

Thanks.
John

Answer
Hi John thanks for the question.  It is hard to say (without more information) why you are having the pain....are you overweight?  De-conditioned?  Have you had shin splints before?  Is the pain in front part of your lower leg (tibialis anterior)? I'm going to assume its the front since that's where most runners experience pain.  There are some stretching exercises (search online for stretches for tibialis anterior or shin splints) that could help and you should ice and elevate your leg too.  While you are having this pain, you should walk fast, not jog or run.  After the pain has subsided, begin jogging again but at a slower pace and for shorter amounts of time until you can build up to your normal pace and times.  Also, you can do some strengthening exercises for your legs (again search online).

I hope that helps, thanks for the question!

Kim Farmer
ACE Certified Personal Trainer
ACE Certified Clinical Exercise Specialist
www.milehighfitness.com
www.milehighfitness.com/fitnessmatters

Aerobics

Kim Farmer