Aerobics/Tired after workouts, and all the time

Question
Hi, I hope you can help me. For the past few months, I've been spending 40 minutes each day on an inclined walking treadmill, 20 minutes twice a day. Ever since I started, my legs have been stiff and I feel so tired. Is this something that will get better over time, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

Answer
Hi Amber,

Glad you're motivated to get exercising. Without knowing your prior exercise history and other information, it's not possible to determine exactly what's going on here. If you're not doing any stretching, that would be something you should be doing. Make sure to stretch a little before and a lot after your workouts. That could alleviate a lot of your stiffness. But you have to do it, seriously, to get any benefit.  If you already stretch and you're still stiff, it's probably a matter of simply doing too much.  You need to ease up - either on the speed, the distance, the incline, or the frequency of what you're doing. Did you start out at the level/time/speed/distance you're doing now?  

If you're feeling so tired, it's the same thing.  You are doing too much and/or aren't giving yourself recovery time.  If you're doing this every day, there is no recovery time! Cut back to every other day, and see how that feels.  Then slowly add in one more day per week.  A few months later, add in another day per week.  You have to give your body a chance to adapt to all of this exercise.  You may have never given it that chance, hence, that's why you feel the way you feel.

Make sure you have a couple of pairs of good walking shoes.  It's worth the price so don't skimp on it.  Should also consider adding a bit of strenth training in so your legs are able to tolerate the treadmill better.
Hope this helps.  

Aerobics

Ken Alan