Aerobics/running hurts thyroid?

Just want to know your opinion..  I've always run, but lately my symptoms of hypothyroid have become more prevalent, and my nutritionalist says I should do no cardio/endurance, especially running, because it suppressed the thyroid.  That saddens me.  I was wondering if you know of any way I can continue to run without suppressing thyroid.  Thanks.  I know if you over run, you can even make yourself look older.  He told me that if I run, with hypothyroidism, I can cause hairloss. which I don't want to do.  I currently rotate 1 day walking for an hour, 1 day walk for fifteen minutes, and run 45 minutes.  I rotate those two and take one day off.  I also do squats twice a week and arms weights .

Hi Andrea,
I don't want to contradict your nutritionist but a nutritionist should not be giving such medical advice.  You really need to talk to a medical doctor about that.  I believe what your nutritionist has said is really a myth but again I would highly suggest talking to your doctor about that.  Here is an interesting article about what some claim as to suppress the thyroid:
You should be diagnosed by a medical doctor through blood tests and be treated with medication and a doctor can recommend an appropriate exercise program.  Hope this helps and good luck!

Kristina Shane

Many women struggle with losing weight and I was once one of those women. Now I am a NASM Certified Personal Trainer and I've spent many years researching the best way for women to get healthy, lose weight and maintain it. I hold a BS in Sports Management and Iím currently working on my MS in Health and Physical Education. I can answer any questions on women's fitness.

Having struggled with weight all my life as well as many health problems such as Lupus and Crohnís disease Iíve researched all my adult life on how to lose weight and keep it off and how to stay healthy when you are sick. I have my own personal training company, KrisCross Training, and Iíve been helping men, women and children get healthy and stay healthy for years. Check out my website,, or my blog

IDEA Health and Fitness Association Sharecare Elite Trainer AllExperts Expert in Strength Training, Womenís Fitness, Aerobics and Living with Obesity

BS in Sports Management-Fitness and Nutrition Track-California University of PA Certified Health and Physical Education Teacher