Aerobics/weight-loss equipment

Question
Hi, so far I'm on the right road to losing weight, and by doing so I have been lifting weights, eating healthier, and walking up and down a steep hill 5X almost every night...which does wonders. Now I am unable to continue to maintain this type of cardio because it is now extremely cold and miserable where I live, and I was thinking of investing in a piece of exercise equipment to substitute on such occasions, as well as when I have a cold and can't go out anyway. What would you recommend...a treadmill with incline mode, an exercise bike, or an elliptical? Can you tell me which one of these units is most effective? Thanks.

Answer
Hi Ted thanks for the question.  All 3 are great options, but both the treadmill and elliptical are weight bearing which means that your entire body is engaged in the activity whereas the bike allows you to be seated, taking some of the load off so to speak.  So I would recommend either the treadmill (with incline mode) or elliptical, your choice should depend on your budget, the health of your joints (the elliptical is less impactful) and which one you enjoy more.

I hope this helps, thanks for the question!

Kim Farmer
Mile High Fitness
ACE-Certified Personal Trainer
Clinical Exercise Specialist
www.MileHighFitness.com
www.MileHighFitness.com/PersonalTraining

Aerobics

Kim Farmer