Aerobics/Up versus down stairs

Question
Hello: I work on the fourth floor of my office building,and always take the stairs up to work,and the elevator down.I see people taking the stairs down,and have argued with some of them that doesn't count for exercise,and one runs the risk of falling down the stairs to boot.My view is that it takes minimal effort to walk down stairs,as opposed to walking up.Am I right? Thanks.

Answer
Hi Michael,

Walking up the stairs does take more effort than walking down, however walking down vs taking an elevator expends more calories. Ideally taking the stairs and eliminating elevator use is the way to go. Everyone has to start somewhere and if that means starting with walking down the stairs and working their way up is what they choose it is better than nothing.  

Aerobics

Brandon Briggs, MS