Aerobics/Aerobics Step

I am no longer able to run for any distance because of my knees that are both arthritic, and the fact I am overweight by about fifty pounds. I still like the 'action' of running, even if its at home on a treadmill while watching soccer on tv. Stationary bikes and ellipticals just dont do it foe me. I was thinking of getting an aerobic step. Would that be sililar to running without the impact? Would it burn as many calories? Thanks!

Hi Bud thanks for the question.  I'm glad to hear that you are working out consistently!  A step could actually be pretty hard on the knees unfortunately.  I think it may be ok every now and then but I wouldn't recommend it as a primary form of exercise if you already have arthritic knees.  Stair climbing (similar motion to a step) places quite a bit of stress on the knee joint which could be balanced with frequent stretching/strengthening exercises but most people don't do enough of that so the knees take the hit.  As for the calorie question, it could burn a lot of calories if the intensity is fast enough and you are doing it for a stretch of time (perhaps 20 min with intervals).

I hope that helps!  Thanks for the question!

Kim Farmer
Mile High Fitness
ACE-Certified Personal Trainer
Clinical Exercise Specialist

Kim Farmer

I can answer questions related to aerobic conditioning, resistance training, toning up, weight loss, nutrition, and using proper form.

6 years as a personal trainer and group exercise instructor. Owner of Mile High Fitness, LLC. Corporate fitness and wellness services and in home and online personal training services. Two-time State Open Champion in tennis and author of two books and several published articles.

Governor's Council for Physical Activity, IDEA Health And Fitness Organization, Colorado Black Women for Political Action, North Metro Chamber of Commerce, Denver Chamber of Commerce, Northglenn Parks and Recreation Advisory Council

Primetime for Seniors,,, African American Voices, Urban Spectrum

Certified by ACE (American Council on Exercise) and AFAA (Aerobics and Fitness Association of America).