Aeronautical Engineering/hot wire anemometry

Question
Hallo Mr Soderman,

I am using hot wire anemometry from Dantec to measure the turbulent velocit profile of a flat plate. I have calibrated the system several times. Every time i start measuring i get a different value either higher or lower than the actual velocity. I have checked the calibration curve. Their is no problem with that. The system gives a different value of output voltage each time at the same flow velocity resulting in a false velocity value.

Do you have any idea why the output voltage varies each time?

Answer
Usman - By checking the calibration curve, I assume you mean placing the probe in a known flow field and getting the correct output. If that is the case, then your problem suggests that a) the turbulent flow is fluctuating, b) the probe position in the turbulence is not constant, c) temperature effects are creeping in, d) statistical randomness is responsible, or e) your signal analysis instrument is flawed. The devil is in the details, and you have the details. Sorry.
Paul

Aeronautical Engineering

Paul Soderman