Aeronautical Engineering/Aerospace engineering questions

hello Paul
I'm doing a school project and was wondering if you could answer these questions for me. If you do answer these question please send me you email because that is also needed.

1.Why did you choose this career?

2.Are you satisfied with your annual pay?

3.What is your envirement like when you are working?

4.What is an average day like for you?

5.Are you happy with this career?

6.Did you always want to be an engineer?

7.What colleges would you recommend?

8.What degree would you recommend some one to get?

9.Is this career hard?

10.Would you recommend this career?

Hi Zarnaab,
I get so many of these interview type questions that I have a canned response I hope will suffice:

I loved math and science in high school. After high school I studied at Oregon State University engineering school for two years and then got B.S. and M.S. degrees in Aeronautical Engineering at U. of Washington - Seattle after another four years. After I did graduate studies at Standford U. Along the way I started my career with NASA as an aeronautical engineer.

Generally, aeronautical engineers design and develop aerospace devices such as aircraft, missiles, race cars, jet engines, etc.  I was in research at NASA Ames Research Center for 38 years where I was responsible for planning and executing wind tunnel studies aimed at improving our understanding of aeronautics and related technologies. My latest job title was Aeroacoustics Group Leader.  

A normal day involved examination of scientific literature, planning experiments, writing code for data analysis, analyzing experimental results, meeting with my peers, requesting support from management, writing reports, etc.  I traveled 4 to 6 times a year to various laboratories or scientific conferences.

The quality of work was high.  The pay was good, not exceptional, but government employees have good benefits such as excellent vacation time, sick leave and pensions.  Hours were good, we had the option of working 9 nine hour days and getting a three-day weekend every other weekend.  Job locations in aerospace are limited by the few number of organizations in the field, but jobs do exist all over the country.

Research is never boring, not counting the occasional meetings on team morale or time efficiency that we had to attend. The work is very rewarding.

I often worked with engineers with different expertise such as electronics engineers, mechanical designers, software programmers, system control engineers, etc.

The projects I worked on can be found in engineering libraries - search on my name.  One project I was proud of was the investigation of the hole in the ozone layer over Antarctica.  I did the aero design of the gas sample instrument.  We found what causes the hole, which led to the worldwide banning of fluro-hydrocarbons.

For this job you must be expert in math and physics as well as computer programming, electronics, and so on. A license is not required but an engineering degree from an accredited institution is usually required.

I knew in high school I wanted to be an engineer, either to build bridges or aircraft.  I chose aircraft and am glad. High school students should take all the math and science they can get, especially physics. English studies are also very important. If I had to change anything, I might choose to spend some time studying abroad. Once you are in college, the engineering departments will specify the required courses. You can take optional courses as well, time permitting.

The factors involved in choosing an engineering school are many and will have to wait for another time.

Starting salary depends on many factors such as academic performance, skill set, experience, location, and more.  Usually, one starts at $60,000 per year plus or minus. Generally, engineering jobs are readily available to anyone with a decent record in school and/or job experience. This country runs on technology that is little understood by the non-scientific population at large, but well understood by engineers and other science professionals.

Aeronautical Engineering

Paul Soderman

Aeronautics, Aerodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Aeroacoustics, Noise Control, Muffler Design, Wind Tunnel Research.... I know nothing about India - do not ask about schools, jobs, application requirements, career choices, etc. for India. Please, no text message verbiage; I prefer full words in full sentences. Thanks.

38 years as research engineer at NASA

B.S. and M.S. Aeronautical Engineering - U. of Washington, Graduate work Standford U.

AIAA Associate Fellow (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics)