Aeronautical Engineering/Pitch and Voltage (Power)

Dear Mr. Soderman,

I always wanted to know this but none of my teachers had the answer. How does increasing the pitch affect how much voltage is generated by a windmill?

As you increase pitch the blade loading goes up and the windmill absorbs more power from the wind. More power absorbed - more voltage generated. But as you pass the optimum pitch angle the efficiency starts to drop off and less power is absorbed. That is because the flow over the blades is no longer uniform - you start to get flow separation and turbulence.

Daniel - you are ready for a basic book on aerodynamics. I would suggest Elements of Propeller and Helicopter Aerodynamics by Dommasch or something similar. Of course you may have to study more math and science to really understand it, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a read.

Aeronautical Engineering

Paul Soderman

Aeronautics, Aerodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Aeroacoustics, Noise Control, Muffler Design, Wind Tunnel Research.... I know nothing about India - do not ask about schools, jobs, application requirements, career choices, etc. for India. Please, no text message verbiage; I prefer full words in full sentences. Thanks.

38 years as research engineer at NASA

B.S. and M.S. Aeronautical Engineering - U. of Washington, Graduate work Standford U.

AIAA Associate Fellow (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics)