Aeronautical Engineering/Pitch and Voltage (Power)

Question
Dear Mr. Soderman,

I always wanted to know this but none of my teachers had the answer. How does increasing the pitch affect how much voltage is generated by a windmill?

Answer
As you increase pitch the blade loading goes up and the windmill absorbs more power from the wind. More power absorbed - more voltage generated. But as you pass the optimum pitch angle the efficiency starts to drop off and less power is absorbed. That is because the flow over the blades is no longer uniform - you start to get flow separation and turbulence.

Daniel - you are ready for a basic book on aerodynamics. I would suggest Elements of Propeller and Helicopter Aerodynamics by Dommasch or something similar. Of course you may have to study more math and science to really understand it, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a read.
Paul

Aeronautical Engineering

Paul Soderman