Aeronautical Engineering/aeronautics

what is mean by magnus effect?where it applied in aeronautic field?

The Magnus effect is the phenomenon whereby a round body in flight, spinning perpendicular to its flight path, experiences a sideways force that causes the flight path to curve. The force is caused by unequal pressures on the sides of the body. Various fluid mechanic explanations for this can be found in the literature. I prefer the argument that the boundary layer on the side moving with the wind carries farther around the curved surface than it does on the other side where the wind causes the boundary layer to separate prematurely. A surface under separated flow will not carry the same pressure as a surface under attached flow thus accounting for the unequal pressures on the body. On a wing, for example, flow separation causes loss of lift that in the extreme leads to stall. In addition, because of viscosity the surface velocities on the advancing and retreating sides of the rotating body are not equal so the pressures will not be equal despite the fact that the Bernoulli relationship is not valid in the boundary layer. What happens on the surface effects the whole flow field in a complex way that is difficult to capture in this forum.

Aeronautical Engineering

Paul Soderman

Aeronautics, Aerodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Aeroacoustics, Noise Control, Muffler Design, Wind Tunnel Research.... I know nothing about India - do not ask about schools, jobs, application requirements, career choices, etc. for India. Please, no text message verbiage; I prefer full words in full sentences. Thanks.

38 years as research engineer at NASA

B.S. and M.S. Aeronautical Engineering - U. of Washington, Graduate work Standford U.

AIAA Associate Fellow (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics)