Aeronautical Engineering/Aircrafts

Question
I am doing a research for school for my AS physics coursework on Aluminium in Aircrafts. Could you possibly answer 2 questions?
1) Why is Aluminium used in Aircrafts and not other metals?
2) Where in Aircrafts is Aluminium used?
Thank You

Answer
Aluminum is used in aircraft because of its high strength-to-weight ratio. It is also resistant to oxidation when anodized. On the other hand, aluminum is susceptible to corrosion when in contact with dissimilar metals. Aluminum has been used in many aircraft parts such as ribs and stringers, struts, window frames, tubing, certain parts of fuselage skin, engine blocks, etc. But the current trend is to substitute composite materials wherever possible because of the weight savings and ever improving strength properties.

Aeronautical Engineering

Paul Soderman