Aeronautical Engineering/re

Question
I meant that I've never felt the yoke trying to move on its own when flying in turbulence. So, considering the actuator friction and inertia are negligeable, we shouldn't have considerable movement in the disconnected case. This is what I thought. What do you think?

Answer
I don't know, you could be correct. I don't have any experience with disconnected control surfaces. But to be sure that actuator friction and inertia are negligible, one should measure it. The ailerons, for example, are connected to each other as well as the yoke in many cases. There is some inertia in that system. Attach a scale to an aileron quarter chord point and measure the force needed to move the airfoil.

Aeronautical Engineering

Paul Soderman