Aeronautical Engineering/Cirrus Airframe Parachute System (CAPS).

Dear Paul

Could this systems be useful in commercial aircraft carriers where Total weight of the aircraft is the main parameter for safe landing in emergency conditions ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Prashant - I have heard of the Cirrus recovery system, which obviously can work for small aircraft. But it would not work for a very heavy aircraft such as a commercial aircraft. Assuming you had a perfect (large) parachute and enough altitude, the falling body would slow until it reached a terminal velocity where drag equals weight. I haven't run the numbers, but I imagine you would find that the terminal velocity is so high that it would destroy the aircraft and/or kill the passengers. That would be a good problem for you to solve. Given the drag equation, find a suitable drag coefficient and compute the terminal velocity for a commercial aircraft. Then find data on survivable descent velocities for humans.

p.s. You would have to estimate the drag of the chute and aircraft where the sum of the two equals total weight.

Aeronautical Engineering

Paul Soderman

Aeronautics, Aerodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Aeroacoustics, Noise Control, Muffler Design, Wind Tunnel Research.... I know nothing about India - do not ask about schools, jobs, application requirements, career choices, etc. for India. Please, no text message verbiage; I prefer full words in full sentences. Thanks.

38 years as research engineer at NASA

B.S. and M.S. Aeronautical Engineering - U. of Washington, Graduate work Standford U.

AIAA Associate Fellow (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics)