Aeronautical Engineering/Fuel stations for Commercial airplanes.

Do fuel stations are available to the commercial airplanes at the airports facility where airplanes do take off and landing ?.

Are there special planes for the same to do this refueling which has the storage facility ?.

It will be very rare that the fuel stations at the airports can exhaust for filling fuel for the airplanes ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Not sure I understand your question. Aircraft fuel is typically delivered by truck to storage tanks on the airfield. The fuel is avgas - a highly refined fuel that is somewhat different for turbojets and internal combustion engines. The only way the fuel might run out is if the refinery or delivery systems were interrupted some way such as by severe weather or military strife. That would be rare but not unheard of in various places around the globe.

Thank you.

1. Do the commercial airplanes have to be parked to a special infrastructure area
within the airport where the fueling is done ?. i.e. There is a area within the airport where the plane moves to a special place for the fueling ?. This station has the fuel storage capacity within the airport.

2. Do a tanker, truck etc vehicle having the fuel storage facility moves to the airplane where the airplane is parked and then the airplane is fueled ?.

Is it 1 or 2 for airplane fueling ?.

If both the two methods are right which is the Better method for fueling also taking account safety measures if required ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Commercial aircraft are fueled by tankers that drive to the aircraft which are typically parked at or near the passenger boarding area. Some airlines will not allow passengers in the aircraft during fueling of some volatile fuels such as Jet B. But they will allow passengers in the aircraft during fueling of less volatile fuels such as Jet A. I am not sure if that is a national or international rule or if different agencies or companies have their own standard operating procedures.

From a purely safety consideration, it would be best if passengers or other people were not near an aircraft during fueling. But because of flight scheduling challenges, that is not always possible. In any case, fueling accidents are extremely rare.

Aeronautical Engineering

Paul Soderman

Aeronautics, Aerodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Aeroacoustics, Noise Control, Muffler Design, Wind Tunnel Research.... I know nothing about India - do not ask about schools, jobs, application requirements, career choices, etc. for India. Please, no text message verbiage; I prefer full words in full sentences. Thanks.

38 years as research engineer at NASA

B.S. and M.S. Aeronautical Engineering - U. of Washington, Graduate work Standford U.

AIAA Associate Fellow (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics)