Aeronautical Engineering/aeronautics

Sir, can you breifly explain what are demerits in using solid propellants?

My only experience is that it is a challenge to get a steady burn rate with predictable thrust. For this reason the fuel is often cast in certain shapes or with cutouts that allow a long, uniform flame front. But as the fuel burns, the area in contact with the flame changes, so the energy developed changes as well. And it is not easy to stop and start combustion. It's not as easy as regulating the flow of liquid fuel to a combustion chamber. The advantage is that the fuel is quite stable and doesn't require special handling like many exotic liquids. But for thrust control, liquid fuels have the advantage.  

Aeronautical Engineering

Paul Soderman

Aeronautics, Aerodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Aeroacoustics, Noise Control, Muffler Design, Wind Tunnel Research.... I know nothing about India - do not ask about schools, jobs, application requirements, career choices, etc. for India. Please, no text message verbiage; I prefer full words in full sentences. Thanks.

38 years as research engineer at NASA

B.S. and M.S. Aeronautical Engineering - U. of Washington, Graduate work Standford U.

AIAA Associate Fellow (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics)