Aeronautical Engineering/Marble flooring in airports runways.

Is Marble flooring allowed on Airports runways?.

ANSWER: There are no restrictions that I am aware of on any type of flooring. In colder climates such as Anchorage, Alaska (I used to work there - carpet is used near entrances to prevent water, snow or ice on someones shoes from causing a slip or fall. A Google search for "Airport Marble Floors" shows many contractors displaying pictures of their work around the world in prestige's airports.

See this link for an example:

This is specific to marble flooring for runways Where planes land and Depart.

If allowed, will you recommend it for runways?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar.

There are no restrictions that I am aware of but I would not expect anyone to ever do it. Surfacing a runway with a slick material would most likely lead to law suits. Regular runways often have groves sliced into them to help roughen them. The one exception is perhaps a corporate jet loading area.

Marble would not be good for taxi or runways because it is very slick when wet or snow is on it. The second issue is the extreme pressure exerted during a landing. It would be possible to cement it securely to the top of a concrete surface but when an airplane wheels touch, the screeching you hear is partly because water in the rubber is being converted to steam - the "smoke" from wheels touching is about 1/2 burnt rubber and 1/2 steam. The wheels skid (skip) on this steam for a second or two before settling on the concrete.

If a corporation where to use marble for the loading area, they run the risk of a wind blowing or skidding the airplane while it is waiting. When I worked in Anchorage, Alaska there was a large airliner blown into the ditch every few years - just sitting on the ramp! And yes, we even had 747 blown into ditches.

Aeronautical Engineering

Jan Zumwalt

SMALL & LARGE PLANES - Aeronautics, Aerodynamics, Designing, Fabricating, Trouble shooting, Repairs, Flight testing, Fluid & Pneumatic controls, Engines, Propellers, Sheet metal, Rivets, Electronics, Fabric, Schools, Career choices, Aircraft systems.

FAA certified commercial pilot FAA certified (A&P) Air-frame & Power-plant mechanic Aeronautical Engineer - University of Anchorage (Alaska) High school instructor, computers, robotics and aviation Current president of EAA chapter 837 (Payette, ID) Past Director of Maintenance (two airlines) Past Continental Airlines maintenance shift supervisor (Anchorage, Alaska)

Current president of EAA chapter 837 (Payette, ID)

FAA certified commercial pilot, FAA certified (A&P) Airframe & Powerplant mechanic, Aeronautical Engineer - University of Alaska (Anchorage), FCC MROP-Marine Radio Operators License, FCC GROL-General Radio Operators License, FCC RADAR endorsement, GEN FAM certificates MD aircraft, GEN FAM certificates Boeing aircraft, State Instructor License, High school instructor, computers, robotics and aviation

Continental Airlines, University of Alaska, Pegasus Aircraft Maintenance, Klondike Air, Methow aviation, Bridget Mina Infant Foundation, Aviation Wholesale Supply, Bureau of Land Managment