Aeronautical Engineering/Your job

Question
Could you please answer these questions? I need them for an assignment in one of my classes. Thanks!

1. What is your average day like?

2. What prior experience was required for this job?

3. What education and/or training did you need for this job?

4 What skills do I need to advance within this field?

5. What does the future hold for this type of career?

6. What advice would you give someone wanting to launch a career in your field?

7. Do you enjoy your job?

8. Do you work just with planes?

9. Who are the best employers?

10. What are the best colleges?

11. What is the pay?

Answer
1. What is your average day like?
There are no average days... I may be assigned to a small project that will take a week or two, or I may be studying or designing a single idea for up to a year. Design requires conference calls, researching statistics, looking up studies by others, what the customer wants, etc.

An engineering degree, and to a large extent knowing someone that recommends you for the job.

An engineering degree, and since I was a pilot that helped too.

An engineering degree, and to a large extent knowing someone that recommends you for the job. My first job (that lead to many others) was from Continental Airlines calling the Aviation Engineering Dept and ask the faculty to recommend several students. I was one of three students recommended. I eventually became the shift supervisor.

More than anything else I believe material science is becoming more important.

Make close buddies while in school and keep in contact with them. Likely one of them will get a better job then you have and if they like you, will help you get hired.

7. Do you enjoy your job?
Yes, I enjoy learning and every project causes me to learn something new.

8. Do you work just with planes?
Yes

9. Who are the best employers?
I can not answer this. The industry completely changes every couple of years. Also the people in charge change and they make a big difference.

10. What are the best colleges?
The bigger the name, the better off you will be. It really does not matter how much you learned. If you have a degree from Stanford or MIT, people will hire you based on the reputation. You will do best if the name would be recognized on the 5-oclock news.

11. What is the pay? It really varies. but the average is $30-35hr.

Aeronautical Engineering

Jan Zumwalt