Aerospace/Aviation/aviation/aerospace

Question
what are the three classifications of the aviation/aerospace industry?

Answer
Hi, Patrick:

Normally, the three classifications of aerospace MANUFACTURING ARE AS FOLLOWS:

A.  Civil:  This includes the manufacturing of general aviation, airline and other aircraft for civilian use;

B.  Military:  This includes the manufacturing of aircraft, missles and other aerospace equipmment for military use (use by the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, etc. ;and,

C.  Space:  This includes manufacturing for both NASA (government-related space programs) and for private companies who are venturing into space.

Another separate classification of segments of aviation includes the following FOUR classifications of aviation:

A. Aviation and Aerospace Manufacturing;

B.  Airlines

C.  General Avition (all flying except that done by the airlines or the military); and,

D.  Government aviation (the Federal Aviation Administration, the NTSB, the TSA, the state avaition organizations, local airports, etc).

Overall, the above four segments employ about 2.0 million people.

FYI,

David A. NewMyer, Ph.D., Professor and Chair
Aviation Management and Flight
Southern Illinois University
www.aviation.siu.edu

Aerospace/Aviation

David A. NewMyer