Aerospace/Aviation/for career guidance. . .

Question
Hi sir ,
      i am currently doing my BBA in aviation at an academy in India . I wanted to know whether i should go for a general MBA or MBA specializing in aviation ? If MBA in aviation which are the best 2 or 3 institutes offering them in India or abroad ?i would also like to know the job opportunities just after an BBA and is there any other courses i can do along with BBA ?.
kindly reply..

Answer
Dear Gokul:

Thank you for your question, I will try to assist!

With regard to taking either a general MBA or an MBA specializing in aviation, I think that depends on your interest and also your research regarding the job market for aviation personnel in India and surrounding nations.  My personal research indicates that aviation is about to start growing again in a substantial way on a global basis.  This is confirmed by the forecasts from The Boeing Commercial Aircraft Company and others.  Boeing, for example, has issued something called the CMO or "Current Market Outlook."  Contained in that is a forecast for aviation personnel that shows that, just for pilots and aviation technicians, the airlines will require over 1.0 million people in just those two job areas over the next 20 years.  You can see this forecast at www.boeing.com  So, if you are truly interested in an aviation career, and, if your research shows similar trends in the future on a more regional basis, I would select the avaiation MBA.

As far as "the best" institutes offering the aviation MBA, I do not feel that I have enough knowledge of the field to recommend anything to you.  The programs that I have heard the most about are:

In India:

The MBA (Aviation Management) at the University of Petroleum and Energy Studies in Dehradun, India

The MBA in Aviation Management at the Hindustan University in Chennai, India

In Australia:

Master of Aviaion Management, Griffiths University, near Brisbane, Australia

In the USA

MBA in Aviation, Embry Riddle Aeronautical Univesity, Daytona Beach, Florida

MBA in Aviation, Dowling College, Oakdale, New York

MBA in Aviation, Daniel Webster College, Nashua, New Hampshire

The job opportunities will be largely with airlines and airports, and, perhaps with some aviation manufacturers (on the contracting and business operations side of the companies).

As far as courses you can do along with your BBA:  Get as much aviation content and experience that you can (perhaps do an internship working with an airline or an airport to gain some aviation work experience) and also try to do pre-requisite classes for the MBA that you might not otherwise complete.  So, do some research to make sure you have completed all pre-requisites for the MBA (do you have all of the accounting classes that you need for MBA entry, etc).

Best wishes in your aviation career!

David A. NewMyer  

Aerospace/Aviation

David A. NewMyer