Aerospace/Aviation/Flight Medical

Question
I have a ganglion cyst in my wrist and was wondering if this would be a problem on the flight medical?

Answer
Hi Josiah,
I don't know much about ganglion cysts but I don't believe this would be a problem. You may have heard of AOPA which is the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association. They have a specific medical division which helps answer medical certification questions. It is probably a good idea for you to first get in touch with them so that your question can be addressed before you would first go to try and get your medical certificate for the first time. It is usually better to know how the FAA addresses these issues before you would try and get your medical as fighting a denial is not something that you want to do if at all possible.
http://flighttraining.aopa.org/students/presolo/special/medical.html is a great website detailing the medical process. I do not know if AOPA will help those who are not yet members, but I would not hesitate to give them a call. Another excellent resource from AOPA is http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Medical which also has their contact information.
I knew a pilot who actually had only one leg after he lost a leg in an accident, and he got his medical certificate reinstated after proving he could fly an airplane with one leg. So that is a lot bigger issue than you would be dealing with.
Good luck in your quest to fly! Are you looking at aviation as a career or flying for fun only?
Sincerely,
Laura

Aerospace/Aviation

Laura Laster