Aerospace/Aviation/Mixing hydrogen and nitrogen as a safe helium alternative

Hello: Helium is a precious, non-renewable resource presently being squandered for use in millions of party balloons and other frivolous uses.I was wondering if hydrogen gas mixed with a small amount of a gas that doesn't support combustion, such as nitrogen, could be used as a safe alternative to helium as a lifting gas in dirigibles and blimps? Thanks!

Hello Michael.
Mixing hydrogen with another gas would not solve the problem. It would mean the airship would have a reduced lift, so a larger airship would be required simply to lift the same weight. Also if the hydrogen leaked it would still end up mixing with air and be just as combustible, the same if the gas cells were punctured, air would get in making an inflammable mix.

Mark Smith

I can answer questions on the history and technical aspects of Zeppelins/German Rigid Airships.

None other than an interest in rigid airships and a large library on the subject