Aerospace/Aviation/Using XFLR5 for separation analysis

Question
Dear Mr.Janus,

I originally intended on using XFOIL to analyse the flow around a selig S3024 aerofoil I'm analysing but I decided to go for XFLR5 instead due to its GUI. I managed to obtain the lift and drag coefficients but I'm having trouble with determining the flow separation point along the surfaces. I read in another question directed at you regarding this and you had suggested monitoring the skin friction coefficient, though I haven't been able to figure out how to do this and upon doing some research in other forums I read claims by others that it is not possible to use this program for determining separation points.
I would appreciate it if you could give me some guidance as to what I should do.

thanking you in advance and looking forward to your reply

best regards

Kurt

Answer
I'm not advocating using XFOIL for separated flows (as the inviscid/viscous interaction approach is not suited to the simulation of large separation), but if you are using that software (and that's all you have) you can plot skin friction and where it goes to zero should be the predicted point of separation...  It should work for slightly separated flows...

Cf is under the operating points/Cp graph/current XFOIL results

better to export it to a file and look at the numbers...  look for when it first goes to zero

I can't say I've ever used XFLR5 for this, since I use other more advanced codes.... but theoretically when the Cf does to zero is the point of separation...

mj

Aerospace/Aviation

Mark Janus