I was talking to this engineer yesterday and he said that aeroplanes always fly at a certain altitude as otherwise they at the 'next curve' of the earth the plane could keep going straight and go away from earth?? Does this make sense? Is this right? sounds a bit wack to me. What about gravity? and escape velocity.

Also, would you say this person is a bit below average in terms of intelligence?

Is what they're saying a bit laughable?

ANSWER: Absolutely ridiculous! He is no engineer, if he was serious.

QUESTION: He is asking then why do pilots adjust altitude

Do you know any pilots in New Zealand? I hope you do so that you can ask them the question. The engineer to whom you were speaking was pulling your leg, if he is indeed an engineer.He probably was ready to ask you to find ten meters of flight line!

Do you live near an airport? If so, go watch the airplanes taking off and landing. It will immediately become self-evident why pilots adjust altitude. No pilot could fly over Mt Snowden without adjusting his altitude.

Pilots flying from Christchurch to Auckland are required by air traffic control to adjust altitude several times enroute.

Cal Taylor

Questions about the Douglas C-133 Cargomaster, its history, operations and technical information. I wrote and published the definitive history of the C-133, Remembering an Unsung Giant: The Douglas C-133 Cargomaster and Its People. Someone has done a good job of extracting material from my book for the article about the C-133 on AllExperts. I AM NOT an expert on educational opportunities in India or other countries and request that such questions be directed elsewhere. I will not answer such questions because I do not have the knowledge to do so adequately.

I accrued 1,837 hours as a C-133 navigator out of a total of 6,738 flying hours in the USAF. Twelve years of that time were as a crew member, the other years were in various training assignments and as a USAF intelligence officer. My flying experience includes time in the B-52H, C-141, C-133, AC-130, C-130 and the C-5A. I have considerable knowledge in general aviatio history.

Air Force Association, Military Officers Association of America, National Association of Uniformed Services, Vasa Order of America

Journal of the American Aviation Historical Society; Warbirds publication of the Experimental Aircraft Association; Quarterly of the Jimmie Doolittle Museum, Travis AFB, CA

BA, HIstory; MA, Asian Studies; MA, Management

Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal, other military decorations