Aerospace/Aviation/Fuel stations for Commercial airplanes.

Question
Dear David

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane_Service_Station

Do fuel stations are available to the commercial airplanes at the airports facility where airplanes do take off and landing ?.

Are there special planes for the same to do this refueling which has the storage facility ?.

It will be very rare that the fuel stations at the airports can exhaust for filling fuel for the airplanes ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Prashant:

Fueling for commercial or airline aircraft is normally either handled by the airline itself (especially at its major operating hubs) or by a trusted contractor that the airline selects to handle its fueling.  For scheduled airlines, the fuel is arranged in advance at each location at which the airline aircraft will stop.  In fact, all aspects of an airline aircraft's fuel usage is very highly regulated and, therefore, managed through the Dispatch Office for each airline.  They have "fuel planners" who help build fuel loaded on each flight depending on the length of the route, the weather en-route and other factors such as winds aloft.

I do not understand your second question about "special planes."  The airlines do not operate any in-flight refueling aircraft, if that is what you mean.  Only the military does that.  There are some special airplanes today such as the Boeing 787 "Dreamliner" that can fly extra-long flights due to their fuel efficiency.

On your last question, yes, it is very rare that airports would not have fuel for scheduled airline traffic.  If that were to happen, the airlines flying to those locations would not fly to those locations until fuel was returned to that airport.  Or, they would fly to that location with enough fuel to fly back out again.

I hope that his answer helps,

David A. NewMyer, Professor (Emeritus)
Southern Illinois University Carbondale

Aerospace/Aviation

David A. NewMyer