Aerospace/Aviation/Fuel stations for Commercial airplanes.

Dear David

Do fuel stations are available to the commercial airplanes at the airports facility where airplanes do take off and landing ?.

Are there special planes for the same to do this refueling which has the storage facility ?.

It will be very rare that the fuel stations at the airports can exhaust for filling fuel for the airplanes ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Fueling for commercial or airline aircraft is normally either handled by the airline itself (especially at its major operating hubs) or by a trusted contractor that the airline selects to handle its fueling.  For scheduled airlines, the fuel is arranged in advance at each location at which the airline aircraft will stop.  In fact, all aspects of an airline aircraft's fuel usage is very highly regulated and, therefore, managed through the Dispatch Office for each airline.  They have "fuel planners" who help build fuel loaded on each flight depending on the length of the route, the weather en-route and other factors such as winds aloft.

I do not understand your second question about "special planes."  The airlines do not operate any in-flight refueling aircraft, if that is what you mean.  Only the military does that.  There are some special airplanes today such as the Boeing 787 "Dreamliner" that can fly extra-long flights due to their fuel efficiency.

On your last question, yes, it is very rare that airports would not have fuel for scheduled airline traffic.  If that were to happen, the airlines flying to those locations would not fly to those locations until fuel was returned to that airport.  Or, they would fly to that location with enough fuel to fly back out again.

I hope that his answer helps,

David A. NewMyer, Professor (Emeritus)
Southern Illinois University Carbondale

David A. NewMyer

I can answer questions about aviation industry employment, airports and airport planning and aviation industry regulation (overall regulation of the industry--who regulates what and why).

I have worked in aviation since the late 1960s, primarily in airports, airport planning and in aviation education. I have done major research in aviation employment and in graduate education in aviation.

University Aviation Association since 1982 (President, 2009-2010)

Collegiate Aviation Review Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education and Research Journal of Air Transportation ATEA Journal SIU Press

B. S. in History and Government, University of Redlands, California, 1969 M. A. in Political Science (Metropolitan Studies), Drew University, Madison, New Jersey, 1971 M. S. in Transportation, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, 1974 Ph.D. in Education (Education Aministration and Higher Education), Southern Illinois University Carbonale, 1987

United Airlines William Wheatley Award from the University Aviation Association, 1994 for excellence in Post Secondary Aviation Education Sorensen Award for Excellence in Research, University Aviation Association, 2008

Prepared airport master plan and environmental assessment reports for several Illinois Airports; prepared two separate airport systems plans for the Chicago area