Aerospace/Aviation/Fuel stations for Commercial airplanes.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Laura

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane_Service_Station

Do fuel stations are available to the commercial airplanes at the airports facility where airplanes do take off and landing ?.

Are there special planes for the same to do this refueling which has the storage facility ?.

It will be very rare that the fuel stations at the airports can exhaust for filling fuel for the airplanes ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Hello,
Yes, almost all airports in the United States, and even around the world, provide fuel services to airplanes. There are special places to refuel airplanes that are privately owned. They are referred to as Fixed Base Operators, or FBOs for short. A great directory in the United States is at www.airnav.com. For each airport, you can scroll to the bottom to see what FBOs and services are available at that airport. You are correct in that it would be extremely rare to exhaust the fueling supply. Airports typically have large tanks installed that hold plenty of fuel, and regular deliveries make sure that fuel does not run out.
Sincerely,
Laura Laster

QUESTION: Dear Laura

Thank you.

1. Do the commercial airplanes have to be parked to a special infrastructure area
within the airport where the fueling is done ?. i.e. There is a area within the airport where the plane moves to a special place for the fueling ?. This station has the fuel storage capacity within the airport.

OR

2. Do a tanker, truck etc vehicle having the fuel storage facility moves to the airplane where the airplane is parked and then the airplane is fueled ?.

Is it 1 or 2 for airplane fueling ?.

If both the two methods are right which is the Better method for fueling also taking account safety measures if required ?.

Just inputs from your end regarding having Fuel stations installed at the airport at a distance.

i.e. The airplanes move to special area zones where these fuel stations (Fuel station 1, Fuel station 2 etc are available and then they are fueled.

Do you feel the advantage of these fuel stations would be better than moving the fuel tanker, truck to the airplane carrying gallons of fuel from the safety point
of view ?.

The disadvantage of these could be having fuel stations at the international and domestic airports is that the airports will require a bigger infrastructure land area for those fuel stations to be installed ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
For large jets at major airports, it is usually method 1. But at almost all smaller airports, it is method 2. This is more common. Tanks underground for fueling (like in method 1) require a lot of inspections, maintenance, and are expensive to install.

Aerospace/Aviation

Laura Laster