Aerospace/Aviation/Retractable mechanism for Landing gear in airplanes.

Dear David

Are the Landing gears always retractable in all airplanes ?.

Once the airplanes takes off, the front and rear wheels are always
folded ?.
Once the airplanes wants to Land, the front and rear wheels are unfolded ?.

What are the Pros and Cons with and without having these retractable mechanism for Landing gears in airplanes ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Dear Prashant:

No, not all aircraft have retractable landing gear.  Smaller single engine training aircraft, for example, do not have retractable landing gear.  Such aircraft are used in beginning flight training since it is felt that it is a safety enhancement for new pilots not to have to think about retracting landing gear on take off and extending landing gear for landing.  Usually, the use of retractable landing gear is taught during a pilot's Commercial Pilot License course.

Retractable landing gear on aircraft are a key item to improve the aerodynamic efficiency of an aircraft while in flight.  When retracted, the landing gear are out of the way and are not in the flow of air around the aircraft/wing area.  Therefore, there is less "drag" out in the air-stream, which allows the aircraft to fly faster and farther than if the landing gear were hanging out below the aircraft.  Retractable landing gear are especially important to jet or turbine powered aircraft that have the capability of flying very fast.

I hope that this helps,

David A. NewMyer

David A. NewMyer

I can answer questions about aviation industry employment, airports and airport planning and aviation industry regulation (overall regulation of the industry--who regulates what and why).

I have worked in aviation since the late 1960s, primarily in airports, airport planning and in aviation education. I have done major research in aviation employment and in graduate education in aviation.

University Aviation Association since 1982 (President, 2009-2010)

Collegiate Aviation Review Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education and Research Journal of Air Transportation ATEA Journal SIU Press

B. S. in History and Government, University of Redlands, California, 1969 M. A. in Political Science (Metropolitan Studies), Drew University, Madison, New Jersey, 1971 M. S. in Transportation, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, 1974 Ph.D. in Education (Education Aministration and Higher Education), Southern Illinois University Carbonale, 1987

United Airlines William Wheatley Award from the University Aviation Association, 1994 for excellence in Post Secondary Aviation Education Sorensen Award for Excellence in Research, University Aviation Association, 2008

Prepared airport master plan and environmental assessment reports for several Illinois Airports; prepared two separate airport systems plans for the Chicago area