Aerospace/Aviation/turbulence

Question
flying seems really safe.is it normal to have turbulence in a flight and how much can an aircraft take?i mean it doesnt seem like an airplane can just fall out of the sky can you explain this?

Answer
Hello,
It is normal to have turbulence in a flight. Most airlines try to avoid it by using weather forecasts and looking at what the wind is forecast to do at different levels in the atmosphere and avoiding areas where the wind velocity or direction changes rapidly. But this is never foolproof, and so turbulence can be encountered at any time. An airplane can take an immense amount of turbulence before it is damaged. The most destructive turbulence often forms near mountains, and there have been very few commercial jets that were destroyed due to turbulence encountered (not associated with thunderstorms). One occurred in Japan near Mt. Fuji in 1966 with BOAC flight 911. Airplanes are engineered to take stress and strain from turbulence, and accidents like BOAC 911 have taught us a lot about avoiding areas where there may be severe turbulence. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOAC_Flight_911 Another incident that did not result in an accident, but did result in airplane damage, is covered here in this report from the NTSB. http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20001211X16147
I hope this helps!
Laura

Aerospace/Aviation

Laura Laster