Aerospace/Aviation/Altimeter Flight instrument.

Dear Cal

Do the altimeter Flight instrument indicates with accuracy the plane Altitude from the ground level to the pilot?.

How does the Altimeter Flight instrument measure the Altitude?.

Yes, the altimeter is accurate in displaying the airplane's altitude above the ground. If it is set one way, it shows height above the ground below the airplane. That is when operating near an airport. When flying between airports, it displays height above sea level.

The measurement is based upon differential air pressure.  

Cal Taylor

Questions about the Douglas C-133 Cargomaster, its history, operations and technical information. I wrote and published the definitive history of the C-133, Remembering an Unsung Giant: The Douglas C-133 Cargomaster and Its People. Someone has done a good job of extracting material from my book for the article about the C-133 on AllExperts. I AM NOT an expert on educational opportunities in India or other countries and request that such questions be directed elsewhere. I will not answer such questions because I do not have the knowledge to do so adequately.

I accrued 1,837 hours as a C-133 navigator out of a total of 6,738 flying hours in the USAF. Twelve years of that time were as a crew member, the other years were in various training assignments and as a USAF intelligence officer. My flying experience includes time in the B-52H, C-141, C-133, AC-130, C-130 and the C-5A. I have considerable knowledge in general aviatio history.

Air Force Association, Military Officers Association of America, National Association of Uniformed Services, Vasa Order of America

Journal of the American Aviation Historical Society; Warbirds publication of the Experimental Aircraft Association; Quarterly of the Jimmie Doolittle Museum, Travis AFB, CA

BA, HIstory; MA, Asian Studies; MA, Management

Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal, other military decorations