Aerospace/Aviation/Marble flooring in airports runways.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Cal

Is marble flooring allowed on Airports runways?.

Thanks
Prashant

ANSWER: No. Airport surfaces start with bare earth or grass. The next step is to pave them with asphalt (macadam) or concrete. Some military airports use pierced steel planking (PSP). That is for short term operations.

QUESTION: Dear Cal

Thanks.

Will marble flooring be not recommended from the cost point of view Or Security regarding plane landing or departure?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Do a tiny bit of thinking about paving a runway with marble. How much would you need? How thick would be required to land a 747? Marble is too expensive, not strong enough, cannot be laid in large enough area and on and on. For a century, macadam and concrete have proven to be the best paving for a runway.

Aerospace/Aviation

Cal Taylor