Aerospace/Aviation/Marble flooring in airports runways.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Marc

Is marble flooring allowed on Airports runways?.

Thanks
Prashant

ANSWER: Any smooth hard surface can be used for a runway. The cost of marble runway would be very expensive and not practical. Marble is not a strong material so it would have to be thick.
that would add to the cost. For commercial runways specification it may not pass the Various structural parameters for which I do not have a copy of. Do your own home work and acquire one for the the country you would install it and compare this the the structural qualities of marble.
There is no list of material that is not acceptable. Only the specifications of what any material will be required to withstand.
The information you require would be obtained from civil engineering data for constructing of runways n the country where it will be installed.

QUESTION: Dear Marc

Thanks.

Will marble flooring be not recommended from the cost point of view Or Security regarding plane landing or departure?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Both. Look at it logically. Why would they lay a marble runways when concrete runways are more practical for many ways. Lets start with with being seamless. In all the years I have flown I never landed on a marble runway. I have landed on dirt, grass, concrete, macadam and even gravel The latter being dangerous for braking and hard on props. Why even consider marble? During the war they laid interlocking steel strips over the dirt, because dirt or sand runways would not support the heavy aircraft. FYI when making a forced landing on a beach never land on the dry sand. Land on the wet where the water washes up on. It will take the impact better.  

Aerospace/Aviation

Marc Ebelini