Aerospace/Aviation/Helicopter Headlights.

Dear David

Do Helicopter have Headlights?
Front, Back, Top,Bottom?
If yes, where are they fixed?

Helicopters have at least four kinds of lights:

1.  Basic Navigation lights---the red rotating beacon, usually on top of the aircraft's tail; the red beacon on right or port wing; the green beacon on the left or starboard wing; and the white beacon on the tail.

2.  Landing lights, usually located on the wings or embedded in the landing gear (especially on larger airline aircraft)---bright lights that both give some forward visibility at night, as well as tell people in the air (required below 10,000 ft) and on the ground--required from engine start to engine shut down---that the airplane is under power.

3.  Taxi lights, for use on the ground while taxiing---usually located in the landing gear on large airline aircraft; and,

4.  Flashing anti-collision lights, normally located on top of the fuselage, on the bottom of the fuselage and on the tail.

So, not really "headlights" like on an automobile, rather these lights are more specifically purposed.  And, these are all required lights, most notably specified in various international aviation conventions/agreements as well as in the aviation regulations of each nation.

I hope this helps.

Take care,

Dave NewMyer

David A. NewMyer

I can answer questions about aviation industry employment, airports and airport planning and aviation industry regulation (overall regulation of the industry--who regulates what and why).

I have worked in aviation since the late 1960s, primarily in airports, airport planning and in aviation education. I have done major research in aviation employment and in graduate education in aviation.

University Aviation Association since 1982 (President, 2009-2010)

Collegiate Aviation Review Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education and Research Journal of Air Transportation ATEA Journal SIU Press

B. S. in History and Government, University of Redlands, California, 1969 M. A. in Political Science (Metropolitan Studies), Drew University, Madison, New Jersey, 1971 M. S. in Transportation, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, 1974 Ph.D. in Education (Education Aministration and Higher Education), Southern Illinois University Carbonale, 1987

United Airlines William Wheatley Award from the University Aviation Association, 1994 for excellence in Post Secondary Aviation Education Sorensen Award for Excellence in Research, University Aviation Association, 2008

Prepared airport master plan and environmental assessment reports for several Illinois Airports; prepared two separate airport systems plans for the Chicago area