Aerospace/Aviation/Potential Energy

I can't scientifically pin down the meaning of potential energy(which is, of course, defined as the energy gained by a body by means of its position). How does a body gain potential energy? And what does this phrase mean: "because of or by virtue of its position", which is often used in the defination of potential energy.

This isn't "scientific," just a field answer. If you pick up a brick from the floor and place it on a ledge at head height, it then has potential energy equal to the work used to move it. Potential energy can be illustrated by the hydropower potential of water at the height of the top of a dam spillway before it plunges down through the generator turbine.

Cal Taylor

Questions about the Douglas C-133 Cargomaster, its history, operations and technical information. I wrote and published the definitive history of the C-133, Remembering an Unsung Giant: The Douglas C-133 Cargomaster and Its People. Someone has done a good job of extracting material from my book for the article about the C-133 on AllExperts. I AM NOT an expert on educational opportunities in India or other countries and request that such questions be directed elsewhere. I will not answer such questions because I do not have the knowledge to do so adequately.

I accrued 1,837 hours as a C-133 navigator out of a total of 6,738 flying hours in the USAF. Twelve years of that time were as a crew member, the other years were in various training assignments and as a USAF intelligence officer. My flying experience includes time in the B-52H, C-141, C-133, AC-130, C-130 and the C-5A. I have considerable knowledge in general aviatio history.

Air Force Association, Military Officers Association of America, National Association of Uniformed Services, Vasa Order of America

Journal of the American Aviation Historical Society; Warbirds publication of the Experimental Aircraft Association; Quarterly of the Jimmie Doolittle Museum, Travis AFB, CA

BA, HIstory; MA, Asian Studies; MA, Management

Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal, other military decorations