Affirmative Action/Quotas/Civil Rights/Segregation

Question
Was there ever a federal lawsuit seeking a desegregation order in the city of Chicago?

Answer
Other than for a couple of years during the Civil War, Chicago never had a school system that was racially segregated by law.  However, it's schools have long been largely divided by race based on where people have lived and how districts were drawn.

There was a lawsuit in 1961 seeking to for a better integration of students, but that case failed and was thrown out.  There was another case in 1980 brought by the Federal government that resulted in a consent decree.  By that time Chicago was already committed to desegregation and had a black superintendent.  The lawsuit and consent decree was basically just a way of preventing any other State government interference with the integration plan.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

Affirmative Action/Quotas/Civil Rights

Michael Troy