Affirmative Action/Quotas/Civil Rights/Segregation

Was there ever a federal lawsuit seeking a desegregation order in the city of Chicago?

Other than for a couple of years during the Civil War, Chicago never had a school system that was racially segregated by law.  However, it's schools have long been largely divided by race based on where people have lived and how districts were drawn.

There was a lawsuit in 1961 seeking to for a better integration of students, but that case failed and was thrown out.  There was another case in 1980 brought by the Federal government that resulted in a consent decree.  By that time Chicago was already committed to desegregation and had a black superintendent.  The lawsuit and consent decree was basically just a way of preventing any other State government interference with the integration plan.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

Affirmative Action/Quotas/Civil Rights

Michael Troy

I will answer questions relating to discrimination law or the 14th Amendment, sexual harassment, etc. I can`t give specific legal advice involving specific cases you might have.

I have worked as an attorney in this area, including several landmark cases involving racial preferences (such as Hopwood v. Texas, University of Michigan v. Gratz and UM v. Grutter).

Former Attorney with the Center for Individual Rights.

Washington Times
Washington Post

JD from University of Michigan Law School