Affirmative Action/Quotas/Civil Rights/Parent Refusing Care Based on Race of Nurse

If a parent refuses to allow any African Americans to provide care to their hospitalized premature infant, must the hospital make reasonable accommodations to honor this or is it illegal for them to do so?  Are they making themselves vulnerable in any civil suit the employee(s) might file if they do restrict care as the parent requested?

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 prevents an employer from discriminating in any way on the basis of race.  This includes assigning a particular task to one employee over another based on race.  The Supreme Court has held that customer demands cannot be used as an excuse to discriminate.  If a customer demands service from whites employees, an employer is not permitted to accommodate that demand.  Doing so would subject the employer to liability from an employee legal action.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

Affirmative Action/Quotas/Civil Rights

Michael Troy

I will answer questions relating to discrimination law or the 14th Amendment, sexual harassment, etc. I can`t give specific legal advice involving specific cases you might have.

I have worked as an attorney in this area, including several landmark cases involving racial preferences (such as Hopwood v. Texas, University of Michigan v. Gratz and UM v. Grutter).

Former Attorney with the Center for Individual Rights.

Washington Times
Washington Post

JD from University of Michigan Law School