Aging/tiredness and aging

QUESTION: I'm a 61 year old male, non-smoker, not overweight, I've never been a high energy person, but in just the last couple years, I need a nap around 2-3pm! And I didn't used to when I was younger. I walk 45 minutes most mornings, drink a super charged vitamin/mineral shake and try to eat healthy, but still get super tired in the afternoon. I don't have any health issues I know of and even was checked for anemia, which I don't have. Any feedback is appreciated.

ANSWER: Hello Lee,
happy to help you here.

First let me ask you, do you drink coffee?

I have found that after a period of years the cumulative effects of coffee drinking can and will begin to create a feeling of fatigue, particularly in the afternoon.

Also, I personally never recommend any of the 'shakes' that people drink on a daily basis.  I find that most of them simply create water retention and poor mineral absorption.  However, this is also on a case by case basis as some people do derive benefit from consuming them.  I quit drinking them years ago myself though when I realized it was just slowing down my system and making me more sluggish.

Mostly I would guess that the nap bit in the afternoon has to do with your hormonal balance and metabolism.  But, you can let me know about the coffee for starters and I can take a stab at it...

QUESTION: Thanks. I don't drink coffee. I actually had the tiredness in the afternoon before starting the shakes (I thought those might help). I can only guess that my physical makeup reacts this way to aging. Frustrating, because although a lot of people have that slump in the afternoon, many at my age and even older don't get so fatigued that they require a nap.

Sure Lee,
was a shot in the dark with the coffee.  It does have that effect, but clearly it's not your problem.

As far as the shake is concerned that's just more me giving my opinions as an expert.  I wasn't implying that the shake was causing the fatigue, just sharing.

Another avenue to pursue would be to look at your normal sleep pattern.  I already have the idea that your answer is going to be 'i sleep just fine', but I have to ask.  Do you get the deeper levels of sleep needed to get adequate rest?

I mean eventually there is an answer.  But, it's a matter of self inquiry, application, tweaking it, and repeating the cycle.

For instance, the heavier the carbohydrates the more likely that you will feel sleepy after you eat them.  If you were having a lunch with pasta, rice, bread, or potatoes then it would cause you to feel more drowsy than a meal with more fibrous carbohydrates instead.

Also investigate your breakfast.  If you don't eat some sort of sustainable source of energy in the morning this could also contribute.  This is really a process of investigation where, even if there is no one single culprit, you begin to tweak your dietary habits to adjust to your needs.

Hopefully this helps a little bit Lee, let me know if you need anything else :)

Christopher Pinckley

I am open to answering any and all questions related to aging, anti-aging, and longevity for those people who are ready to learn about the potential for the human body.

I have been in fitness for around 24 years. For around 16 years I have been a professional personal trainer and rehabilitation specialist. Unfortunately, part of what makes me one of the very best in this arena is my own personal experience with chronic knee problems, fatigue, and acute serious injury to my physical body. Throughout it all, I have maintained optimal health and my belief in the ability of the human body to recover from anything.

Publications 'Fitness is Not an Exact Science!'

UNL ACE Fit Lifestyles Author of 'Fitness is NOT an Exact Science!'