Aging/Why do old people wave slowly?

Dear David,

My six-year-old son is going through a rather inquisitive phase: some of his latest questions include 'How much water does an ant need to take a bath?' and 'Why do flies fly?'

The other day he asked me why old people wave more slowly than young people. I don't like fobbing him off with half-hearted answers, and a small part of me is intrigued to know: is it down to general aging, or do they just take it slowly because they have more time to kill?

Can you help?

Please tell your son to keep asking questions. I am 61 and I am STILL asking questions about life and everything else. I learn almost new things DAILY. Send a few of his questions my way. I love answering questions.

OK it is like this. When we reach around age 18-21, our bodies have grown up. Interesting; our BRAINS do not completely grow up until around age 25. Just because our bodies are 21, our brains do not reach "21" until around age 25.

From age 21, until passing on, our bodies do a very slow decline in metabolism. The slower our metabolism, the slower we move. Including waving our hands and arms. Blame it on slow metabolism.

The way to grow old and greatly reduce the slowing metabolism, is to do daily aerobic exercising. The rule is; up to age 40, you exercise because you want to. After age 40, you exercise because you HAVE to.

The slowing, i.e. aging happens to all of us. But when you do exercise daily, the aging of your own body is GREATLY reduced. You just feel and look better.

Thank you to your son. Great question.

David Dickeson, A.S.

At age 33, I began to worry about "turning 40." I decided to do something - anything! - before I was 'over the hill' in life and health. I figured that once you turn "age 40," life was 'over,' and you spend the next 40 years rapidly aging and "falling apart." If you were lucky, the 'blessing' of death would come before it was too late!! I am now 62, retired at age 60 and I am enjoying life more than I ever had. How wrong - mentally - I was! When I became STRONGER - physically - everything got better for me. "Growing old" is NOT a 'natural process.' It is a terrible disease you have to FIGHT each day.

Proper exercise is the answer to "aging well." I have been exercising for 31 years and I have 'first-hand' experience at to what works, and what does not. Especially for older people like myself. Good health does NOT come from sitting in a stuffed chair, 'weightlifting' by lifting soup cans and watching "Murder She Wrote..." This was advised to me by a federal agency for aging seniors! GIVE me a BREAK!! You can also find me on Allexperts under weightlifting and "how to get what you want in life."

I have an Associate of Science Degree in General Business.