Aging/Scared of the Aging Process it aches

Hello David,
Desperately hanging onto the years here, I'm finding that as I'm getting older the things that I used to be able to do I cannot do.  Does everyone have their strength and vitality sapped out of them at the age of 55 years or is there something wrong with me?  I had an illness last year which the doctors have said that my blood tests show that I have normalised, but I truly don't feel normal well at least the way I used to.  I have found that my strength and vitality and even my zest for life has diminished terribly.  I am feeling old, older than I thought I would and find that even my moods have been affected terribly and find I'm constantly thinking about what aches and pains that day and always finding another ache and pain that brings further stress and despair regarding how the hang am I going to survive if all these things are going wrong now?  Thought the aches and pains only really started when you get to 60s and 70s onwards, well most days I'm feeling mid 60s and that terrifies me no end.
Please help I'm not sure if this is normal and if there is something I can do to slow down this terrible aging process and the thought of my imminent mortality.  Thank you kindly for your understanding of these horrible thoughts that are making me feel old.

Hello Karen

One fact of life that took me a long time to accept;

When I turned age 60, I retired from my career of 25 years. I started a new, non-working life and I had a lot of anger and denial. I wanted to work forever. But I got older and what I did then, I cannot do now. I still can do a lot of things, but now I do different things.

Like when I was very young; age 7. I could do things like walk on the roof of my parent house, with no fear. Then I became a teenager and heights terrified me. Still do. Change. I did not have to like it. But I had to ACCEPT it. Life changes all the time.

Aches and pain? We all get them. Our metabolism slows down, due to aging, so everything gets stiffer and stiffer. And yes, aging is terrible. There is no such thing as "growing old gracefully."

So you and I have two choices. Stiffen up to where we no longer can move. Or, include exercise in our life. This is what I do. At home; every day for 1-2 minutes, I stand in front of the kitchen sink and do counter-top push ups. 20 times. Stretches the legs, shoulders and arms. Really relieves the stress and tension.

Once a week; I go to a city wellness center and use their sit-down machines to exercise. Lightest weight possible, 40-200 reps. Depends on the machine and how I feel. My goal is not muscle mass. But rather to push my metabolism up and tighten every thing up. Takes about 2 hours of my time. Then I go home and lie down in bed for a couple of hours.

Because of my age, I need a week of rest and recovery. The body grows stronger and healthier during the rest, not during the exercising.

Does wonders for how to handle life. I sleep better, eat less, have a lot less pains and stiffness. I just feel better about life and feel positive about my future.

I was always physically active. But when I cannot do all the things when I was younger, I do not mentally "beat up my soul." The world is constantly changing. And so am I. I have to remember the things I can do NOW, not what I did back THEN. And when I grow older, things will change again. At least I know what the next 60 years will be like. Because I wrote down what I want to do for the next 60 years, now 58 years, of my life.

Remember, if you do not write down what you want in your life, others will decide your life for you. And you may not like what they decide for you.

Have a great week!

David Dickeson, A.S.

At age 33, I began to worry about "turning 40." I decided to do something - anything! - before I was 'over the hill' in life and health. I figured that once you turn "age 40," life was 'over,' and you spend the next 40 years rapidly aging and "falling apart." If you were lucky, the 'blessing' of death would come before it was too late!! I am now 62, retired at age 60 and I am enjoying life more than I ever had. How wrong - mentally - I was! When I became STRONGER - physically - everything got better for me. "Growing old" is NOT a 'natural process.' It is a terrible disease you have to FIGHT each day.

Proper exercise is the answer to "aging well." I have been exercising for 31 years and I have 'first-hand' experience at to what works, and what does not. Especially for older people like myself. Good health does NOT come from sitting in a stuffed chair, 'weightlifting' by lifting soup cans and watching "Murder She Wrote..." This was advised to me by a federal agency for aging seniors! GIVE me a BREAK!! You can also find me on Allexperts under weightlifting and "how to get what you want in life."

I have an Associate of Science Degree in General Business.