Aikido/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Aikido Newbie wanting to add other martial art1/3/2016Keith Patton
  Q: Patton, I recently started Aikido lessons (2 months, 2 hours/week). My Sensei is a 5th Dan in ...
  A: Daniel: First, I don't know what school or style of aikido you might be studying. There are a lot ...
Difference between judo and aikido physics.8/1/2013Keith Patton
  Q: After studying judo for a while. I began to see dramatic similarities between aikido and judo. Ihave ...
  A: Jack: Good questions. My former sensei was a one time coach for the US Olympic Judo team, back in ...
intimidating situations8/6/2012Keith Patton
  Q: Patton, I'm a 5th Kyu Aikido practicioner and there's a situation that has occured a few times to ...
  A: Bruno: Really the only way to deal with that situation is to try to maintain mai or react when the ...
Training for speed5/23/2011J Richard Seavitt
  Q: i just researched a lot read all bruce lee books appllied them all but i cant get the lightening ...
  A: Nishant - I'm afraid I think you are asking the wrong question. I'm not sure what "lightning ...
Chendokan1/22/2011Keith Patton
  Q: Patton: I used to belong to my university's Wing Chun club, but after moving, the closest martial ...
  A: Orlando: It looks like a spin off of Traditional Ueshiba Aikido by a 6th or 7th tier student. Like ...
Wich Is Your Style1/10/2011Keith Patton
  Q:
  A: I study Karl Geis Ryu. It is a variation of Tomiki Aikido. What makes the style different is we do ...
Tall People1/10/2011Judith Warner
  Q: 5 around 176 lbs , so as i usually injure my ribs at judo and bjj cause they fit more short people i ...
  A: Aikido is definitely okay for tall people! The mind/body principles that are the focus of the art ...
Aikido kicking4/24/2010Judith Warner
  Q: i would like to know are there kicks specificaly for aikido,or they are just the normal kicks for ...
  A: kicks are kicks. Aikido prepares you to respond to any attack including any kind of kick. We are ...
Aikido, centering and changes3/9/2010Judith Warner
  Q: I have always been somewhat interested in taking up a martial art but never jumped in, I am looking ...
  A: I live over in Rochester so I am not much help with the Saratoga area. I usually tell people to go ...
Aikido and Daitoryu Aikijujutsu takumakai3/6/2010J Richard Seavitt
  Q: would the two arts complement each other and have learning benifits for both arts. Thanking you, ...
  A: Damian - The underlying principles of aikido and classical aikijujutsu are largely similar, though ...
i don't know9/26/2009David R. Organ
  Q: !
  A: You've asked a difficult question - it's not one I can answer with a simple yes-no answer. I'll ...
Aikido in real world situations.8/25/2009Keith Patton
  Q: I guess i should have scrolled down a little further an read your profile first. I have taken a few ...
  A: Luke: Yes, it takes a while to proficient in the more complicated techniques. However, depending ...
Is aikido a real form of self-defense8/25/2009Judith Warner
  Q: I have taken a few classes of Aikido locally and was a little discouraged at how technical and ...
  A: If what you are looking for is how to respond to a surprise attack, then I suggest you look into a ...
aikido gi10/13/2008Arvin Sloane
  Q: I'm about to purchase my first aikido gi and after looking at some websites have come down with two ...
  A: I am not really a specialist on uniforms. All I can say is that I would buy from e-bogu for two ...
aikido gi10/13/2008David R. Organ
  Q: I have recently started to practice Aikido and now I am planning to buy a suitable gi for this ...
  A: First let me congratulate you on your decision to take Aikido! I am sure you will love this ...
aikido injury10/13/2008Keith Patton
  Q: "I have recently started to practice aikido and during one of the sessions I probably twisted my ...
  A: First let me say that I have had the ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) replaced with grafts in both ...
aikido practice10/6/2008Arvin Sloane
  Q: I am 42 years old male and have just started to practice aikido mainly for self defense and physical ...
  A: I have several separate things to say, so I numbered them. 1) The difficulty with forward and ...
too late to start aikido?9/28/2008Judith Warner
  Q: I am 45.5 years old and fairly fit and feel strong, I have been facinated with art and philosophy ...
  A: Definitely try aikido! I started when I was about 38 and am still practicing at 60. I live in ...
Aikido Clubs7/30/2008David R. Organ
  Q: It has been some time since I had a "Falling out" with the only Aikido Instructor in my town. I ...
  A: First, let me apologize for not answering immediately. I'm living waaay out in the boonies at the ...
Finding a Houston Aikido Dojo for my 10 yr-old6/6/2008Keith Patton
  Q: Patton, I would appreciate it if you could suggest a Houston dojo that is known for the ability to ...
  A: Jared: Most Aikido dojo's won't take kids under 12. There are a number of reasons. Aikido has some ...
What you think?5/6/2008Keith Patton
  Q: Hi Im 19 and I practice Wado Ryu Karate and Jun Fan. My question is whats the secrete to fliping ...
  A: Josh: Throwing an opponent is all about timing and balance breaking. If you try to grab someone ...
interested4/30/2008Judith Warner
  Q: I was interested in Aikido. I'm 19 and iv practiced Jun Fan( Jeet kune do) and Wado Ryu karate for 2 ...
  A: Of course you should try aikido. It will teach you some skills and principles that will help you in ...
Selecting a dojo in Houston, Texas10/24/2007Keith Patton
  Q: I live in Houston, Texas and am looking for a dojo to begin study. If you are familiar with the ...
  A: zzzz
can aikido help me against normal thugs and brutes at my high school?10/21/2007Keith Patton
  Q: i have been interested in aikido for some time i am only 14 but i have a deep interest in martial ...
  A: Nate: Aikido is a great self defense art it you pick the right style and dojo. Unfortunately it is ...
Aikido and Hapkido10/19/2007Shari
  Q: Do Aikido and Hapkido have their own distinctive techniques? Or is Hapkido just Aikido in Korean?
  A: I'll tell you what I know about Hapkido, but it is not much. As I understand it, the founders of ...
Beginning Moves10/12/2007Keith Patton
  Q: Hey, I recently took a class of Tomiki Aikido, and am hoping to stay with it. During my first ...
  A: Clay: They are called the 17. Do a search on google and even on utube and you will find any number ...
aikido and dojo10/2/2007Judith Warner
  Q: I just arrive from france and I would like to practice Aikido. I m 5 kyu from aikikai school. I m ...
  A: Bienvenue aux Etats Unis, Victor. J'aime beaucoup votre pays. Il y a deux idées pour vous. New ...
Help me please9/3/2007Jeffrey Allen
  Q: I have been taking Kenpo Karate in Colorado, I am not in any advanced ranks or anything, but when I ...
  A: I understand your concern and it is a legitmate one. You are right though. These days martial arts ...
Help me please9/3/2007Keith Patton
  A: Danny: What you feel you are lacking is called internalization. Constant practice internalizes ...
Help me please9/3/2007David R. Organ
  A: Danny. First, please allow me to apologize for my lateness in answering you - I'm in the middle of ...
Help me please9/3/2007Arvin Sloane
  A: Anything based on kata is useless unless the practitioner takes the time and effort to really ...
Starting my Training8/9/2007Shari
  Q: I am 14 years old and after two more observations of two more classes I will most likely sign up to ...
  A: You are going to love Aikido, and I'll bet you will enjoy weapons training very much. No one gets ...
aikido8/8/2007Keith Patton
  Q: Is aikido and aikibujutsu the same? because i am going to a dojo to watch a class and i want to do ...
  A: Yes to your question. There are a lot of flavors of aikido. Just as jujitsu is a form of judo, ...
Complexity of Aikido Techniques8/5/2007Shari
  Q: Reading on the internet, a kind of consistent theme I have picked up on is the opinion that aikido ...
  A: I once had a friend of mine in Judo (sandan) tell me that while Judo was the easiest of the martial ...
Can Aikido repel a calm, skilled, patient attacker?7/6/2007Keith Patton
  Q: (Note: This question was copied and pasted from a question I posted to a different expert. I would ...
  A: Luke: First let me say that the Ryu or school I come from does not subscribe to the namby pamby ...
Is Aikido applicable for self defense . . . (sorry)7/6/2007Shari
  Q: I apologize, I realize you must get asked this question a lot. In fact, I just read a very good ...
  A: and I do understand your question, I believe. The short answer is it will always depend on who is ...
martial arts6/27/2007Jeffrey Allen
  Q: which is the oldest living martial art?
  A: Wow, a very difficult question. Everyone has their claims to this great question. No one is ...
Aikido in real situations5/29/2007Judith Warner
  Q: I've been searching the internet for videos that show aikido in a real fight, but I only find ...
  A: Great questions which I can only answer from my perspective. I would bet that other instructors ...
Martial arts in Japan5/22/2007J Richard Seavitt
  Q: I'm looking for places where I can learn and/or practice martial arts in Kansai (preferably Osaka). ...
  A: There's plenty of aikido in Osaka; there's at least a partial list at Aikiweb that's easily ...
Finding a reputable training facility4/28/2007J Richard Seavitt
  Q: I am extremely interested in pursuing Aikido training and have been for several years. I live in the ...
  A: Well, I'm not in that area, but there's a well-maintained dojo search engine at ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3   |  Next       All

Aikido

Keith Patton

Top Expert on this page