Air Quality/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Follow up from rooftop question2/28/2017Dave Russell
  Q: To follow up on my previous question about emissions from a neighboring rooftop, attached is picture ...
  A: the the curvey shiny thing is a ventilator. There is a cooling tower and a chimney. Under the ...
Air pollution/Residential/ Health2/28/2017Rob Gibson
  Q: I live in New York City, and I am thinking of moving to the fourth floor of a seven-story new ...
  A: First my apologies for the slow response. It is quite difficult to answer this question as it is ...
industrial white smoke1/31/2013Rob Gibson
  Q: i am a mom to two kids and we were recently in our local town doing some shopping when i could see ...
  A: Good evening Michelle Thanks for your question. Couple of things here. I've had a quick spin ...
Chrome-Plated Steel1/11/2013Dave Russell
  Q: I have a chrome-plated steel tray that I would like to permanently place over one of the wire racks ...
  A: Chromium is a plating. It is generally applied to steel. Over time it will wear off and expose the ...
Granular Charcoal Bags9/7/2012Dave Russell
  Q: I bought two larger size Moso Natural air purifying granular bamboo charcoal bags for my small ...
  A: Lindsay: I don't believe that a charcoal air purifier would release enough ions to cause you harm. I ...
Dry Cleaners8/28/2012Dave Russell
  Q: I moved to an apartment in NYC that is a block and a half behind a dry cleaners (and I am ten floors ...
  A: Some brief research on the subject of dry cleaning chemicals indicates that there are about 3 ...
safety after cleaning mildewed walls w/bleach2/20/2012Dave Russell
  Q: Russell, i'm a little concerned about breathing the air in a bldg that was closed & empty since a ...
  A: There are a couple of things you need to consider. 1. The bleach probably, I say probably, wiped ...
Effect of Smoke on the Weather4/4/2011Rob Gibson
  Q: I am a 12 year old six grader from Tegucigalpa,Honduras, Central America. I have noticed that our ...
  A: Apologies for not responding before now and thank you for your question. I have taken a look around ...
Automotive paint operation VOC control10/28/2010Dave Russell
  Q: What are the most common methods/devices used in large-scale automotive paint operations to control ...
  A: The one I'm most familiar with was used by General Motors at their plants in New York, and Georgia. ...
Coal Handling Pollutants Monitoring9/24/2010Dave Russell
  Q: I want to know the pollutant parameters that should be monitored during the Coal Handling Activity ...
  A: Best guesses include the following: Direct dust emissions from various sources due to handling-- see ...
asbestos5/18/2010Rob Gibson
  Q: I read that asbestos is in the air we breathe every day is that true ?
  A: The honest answer to your question is I don't know. Certainly in places where it is mined, parts of ...
Air Pollution5/10/2009Rob Gibson
  Q: Rob Gibson, I have some questions How do factories affect air pollution? Exactly what gases affect ...
  A: Your questions How do factories affect air pollution? They produce emissions that may add to the ...
Air Purifiers3/26/2009Jacob Hunter (Environmental Assessment Services, Monterey Bay-Silicon Valley)
  Q: I am in the market for a new air purifier for my home. I had the original Sharper Image tower and ...
  A: I do not like recommending specific products. Consumer reports often will rate air purifiers, their ...
Air pollution solution?1/31/2009Rob Gibson
  Q: I live in the United States of America and i just recently moved to area with alot of air pollution ...
  A: I had a quick look round the www regarding your question and found the following: If they are doing ...
Coalescor and Separator1/31/2009Jay Hofmann (Trinity Consultants, Inc.)
  Q: What is the deference between Coalescor and Separator in filtration systems?
  A: I am not sure I know a detailed technical answer to your question. However, I believe a coalescer ...
Carbon Monoxide Readings1/7/2009Rob Gibson
  Q: We have a carbon monoxide that is beeping at us. The reading is 63 and we do not know what this ...
  A: I have a CO monitor myself. Its never gone off thank goodness but when I test it it is so loud my ...
Unleaded vs leaded Gas10/29/2008Jay Hofmann (Trinity Consultants, Inc.)
  Q: My question is what are the pro and cons to both unleaded and leaded gas?
  A: There is no "pro" with leaded gas from an air quality perspective. Lead in the air is highly ...
car pollution9/29/2008Harold Garabedian
  Q: how much do gasoline powered passenger automobiles contribute to the total air pollution in the us( ...
  A: Emissions from gasoline powered vehicles contribute to a host of air pollution concerns including ...
unleaded and leaded gas6/16/2008Dave Russell
  Q: what is the difference between unleaded gasoline and leaded gasoline?
  A: Leaded gas was manufactured by using tetraethyl lead as an additive. The purpose of the additive was ...
res. air quality3/24/2008Jacob Hunter (Environmental Assessment Services, Monterey Bay-Silicon Valley)
  Q: I hope you can help me with my question please. A year ago we had a high efficiency Carrier heat ...
  A: #1 get in touch wth your medical physician. #2 I'd get in touch with an American IAQ council ...
clean air3/23/2008Jay Hofmann (Trinity Consultants, Inc.)
  Q: A few years ago I was in the Dominican Republic staying in my vacation home when all our ...
  A: The are many non-governmental organizations that attempt to pressure governments all over the world ...
bag filter/ bag house3/14/2008Harold Garabedian
  Q: i am a mech engg. student from India & as a part of our final year syllabus i am doing a project ...
  A: The best (US) reference to address your question can be found at the USEPA website for exhaust ...
1968 Triumph3/11/2008Harold Garabedian
  Q: I have a 1968 Triumph Spitfire and have been told that it needs leaded gas only. How do we get this ...
  A: There is a lot of miss-information out there on the matter of using unleaded gasoline in an engine ...
Eco air for the future?2/27/2008Harold Garabedian
  Q: I am a trend analyst in London and i am researching into how the future of gadgets and technology ...
  A: Technologies of the future will address issues of (high) efficiency and sustainability; particularly ...
indoor exhaust fumes6/14/2007Jay Hofmann (Trinity Consultants, Inc.)
  Q: Is it possible to monitor my home and find out if the exhaust I smell is reaching unhealthy levels? ...
  A: You can monitor your home for carbon monoxide inexpensively. Buy a CO monitor at your local ...
Indoor air quality:2/21/2007Jacob Hunter (Environmental Assessment Services, Monterey Bay-Silicon Valley)
  Q: I think my question may be a little basic for your field but having discovered allexperts.com I am ...
  A: I will try my best to answer this as briefly as possible. The question you ask really requires an ...
Gasoil burning1/9/2007Dave Russell
  Q: Greeting, I would like to know, How much CO2 will be emitted if we burn just 1 litr Gasoil?
  A: Gasoil is, in the US, referred to as diesel. The problem is that I can give you a theoretical ...
breakdown of sources of CO2 emissions in US12/2/2006Dave Russell
  Q: I would like a breakdown of the sources of carbon dioxide emissions (from non-natural ...
  A: Rather than waste space and time in providing an answer that I would have to look up, let me point ...
Min Ventillation rate11/29/2006Dave Russell
  Q: I have been reading your notes and thank you for the help to the guys. What is the min ventilation ...
  A: The governing set of standards you want to look at is from ASHRAE American Society of Heating ...
characteristics of air11/20/2006Rob Gibson
  Q: i am a grade 5 learner in south africa. my teacher asked us in an exam what the characteristics of ...
  A: First of all I have no idea why you got the mark you did as I do not know the basis of the teachers ...
What is the Difference between Diesel, unleaded and leaded gas?11/15/2006Dave Russell
  Q: Good day Mr. Rusell, I would just like to ask bout the difference of the three (diesel, unleaded and ...
  A: all 3 are hydrocarbons, so all 3 produce the same types of pollutants, except leaded gas. Gasoline ...
pollutant trapping and humidity3/21/2006Dave Russell
  Q: Mr. Russell: Are air pollutants more easily trapped within a local area if the humidity is high? I ...
  A: Priscilla At the moment I am in Brussels. I am not available to many of the resources I need to ...
Large scale air cleaning2/9/2006Dave Russell
  Q: I've been wondering now for some time if it wouldn't be possible to clean the smog or at least ...
  A: Yes it would, but you are talking about paul bunyon sized equipment. One of the ways under ...
Large scale air cleaning2/9/2006Harold Garabedian
  A: The technology and systems required would be so large as to be technologically and financially ...
My Stuff Bedroom1/26/2006David Powner
  Q: From reading your area of expertise, it seems like you may be able to help me with my dilema. I ...
  A: . At first glance, I am puzzled. The Fujitronic seems to be about 50% more powerful than the ...
Printer Ink Exposure1/5/2006David Powner
  Q: I'm a self-representing artist and publisher and working out of my home. I am reproducing prints of ...
  A: Where to begin? I would start by suggesting that to keep the room relatively fresh, you should be ...
Carbon monoxide11/25/2005David Powner
  Q: Could you tell me how I could monitor my home for carbon monoxide and lead paints/radon. Also,I ...
  A: Depending upon where you are, you can readily obtain a low-cost CO monitor from general stores. ...
carbon monoxide11/22/2005Jay Hofmann (Trinity Consultants, Inc.)
  Q: Could you describe how a person can monitor their home from carbon monoxide/lead paints, radon and ...
  A: You can buy relatively inexpensive monitors for both radon and carbon monoxide (CO). The CO ...
ash/dust removal11/3/2005David Powner
  Q: Am a longtime user of firewood for heating my home and am entirely satisfied as such - except for ...
  A: I would first refer you to the following web page: ...
air pollution9/26/2005David Powner
  Q: Is open trash burning legal in illinois? If so, what can be burned?
  A: As I'm based in the UK, I shouldn't have a clue, but I did a quick Google for "trash burning ...

Page:    1  |  2   |  Next       All

Air Quality

Dave Russell

Top Expert on this page