Air Travel/Excessively Long Layover

My father recently purchased a domestic ticket on AA with one layover in Dallas.  The flight departed at 6:50am with what he thought was a nine hour layover, arriving his destination at 7:40pm (with time change).

However, when he forwarded me his itinerary, I realized the flight actually had a 33 hour layover (departing the next day and 9 hours later)!  He had NO IDEA and when he called AA to adjust, they charged him over $400 to adjust WITHOUT the option of refund.  Unfortunately, he had booked the flight October 28th and didn't realize the mistake until November 8th.

Is this legal? Is there any recourse?  I travel at least once a month and I've never seen anything like this happen.

Dear Anne,

I don't know which channel your father used to book and buy this ticket and assuming that was online, unfortunately when the transaction is complete you agree and are exposed to all terms and conditions governing such. If it was via a travel agent you can try to revert such loss since the person who booked did not realize the day change indicator on the itinerary.

Best Regards,
R. Gomes  

Air Travel

Roberto Gomes

General expertise and knowledge of airport procedures related to air travel. Questions concerning baggage and cargo, pets, minors, persons with disabilities, catering, security, weight and balance, airline alliances - codeshare flights and immigration requirements. Top expert on this category with more than 900 questions answered so far (send yours to be the 1,000th). Please do not send questions regarding best fares and airport parking.

Thirty years of experience in the airline industry implementing alliances, codeshare programs, operational procedures and related training for airport'staff.

MBA Logistics, Marketing and Customer Services.