Air Travel/Let's try this again

Question
My question and your answer:

I am an expert in another category for almost six years.  I have traveled to Europe three times in the past year (since last October).  I usually have a fanny pack with steel cable and lock, a backpack and a carry on bag that fits the criterion for same.  I recently purchased an American Tourister bag that is the same size (except for the bottom, because it has wheels) as my backpack.  I am going on a cruise October 24 and would like to take my bags onboard with me.  I think if I can somehow convert this American Tourister into what appears to be a backpack (and carry it as such), I can go onboard with all my luggage and not be afraid I will end up on a ship for eleven days with no clothes.  I'm trying to find a way to do this.  Can you suggest something?  Thank you.

Following is the reason:

Dear Jill,

I'm a expert on air travel not on ship travel...

I was REFERRING to the PLANE not the cruise ship.  Will I be able to take this Tourister, which is not a backpack but is the same size as my backpack (except it has wheels) on the PLANE along with my Samsonite carryon?  Thanks.

Answer
Airlines regulate the dimensions of the bags allowed to be carried on board. Normally the linear dimensions can not exceed 45 inches (length + width + height).
Most gate agents check the items and if they do not fit they will be gate checked, free of charge, during the boarding process and returned upon deplaning. This will reduce the possibility of mishandling.

Hope this helps.
Best Regards,
R. Gomes

Air Travel

Roberto Gomes