Air Travel/I got a voucher instead of cash with American Airlines

I had to add a flight to my itinerary with American Airlines. Lucky for me the price of the same flight I had was priced  cheaper than when I had purchased it so everything ended up being $40 cheaper. The lady said she would send me a $40 voucher. She never offered cash, and I didn't think of asking. I rarely fly and will probably never use my voucher. My first question is why don't they offer to just put the $40 back on my credit card instead of giving me a voucher, and second, is there anyway I can return my voucher for money?

One more thing if you don't it says my status is "ticketed". Does this mean everything is good to go, and there will be no surprised at the airport?

Dear  Beth,

Airlines only offer cash in case of ticket refunds duly paid by cash.
After arriving at the airport ask the agent if you can use such voucher on board or to pay any additional bags that you may have.

As far as the ticked status you're good to go, but it is advisable that you pre reserve a seat if your type of fare allows it. Call reservations again or go to select my trips, enter the data required (record locator is your reservation code) and check the seat sellection.

Best Regards,
R. Gomes

Air Travel

Roberto Gomes

General expertise and knowledge of airport procedures related to air travel. Questions concerning baggage and cargo, pets, minors, persons with disabilities, catering, security, weight and balance, airline alliances - codeshare flights and immigration requirements. Top expert on this category with more than 900 questions answered so far (send yours to be the 1,000th). Please do not send questions regarding best fares and airport parking.

Thirty years of experience in the airline industry implementing alliances, codeshare programs, operational procedures and related training for airport'staff.

MBA Logistics, Marketing and Customer Services.