Air Travel/Gain/Loss of Time on Flights

Question
Hi Roberto,

I'm not a seasoned traveller by any means but I just wanted to know how do people know what time they are on when flying by plane?

I get confused when my flight ticket says things like +1 day!

I have to take a number of flights shortly (3 within 24 hours) and I'll be going (west then east then west again) from New Zealand to Australia.  From Australia back to New Zealand.  And finally New Zealand to Los Angeles.

So if you aren't going 'just' west or 'just' east is there a way to calculate the loss/gain of time you'll experience, the real time that's actually past and how that corresponds to the flight time?  I find it all very confusing :). And added to all this you have to somehow sleep at odd times!!

So is there a way of calculating it?

Thank you.

Lisa.

Answer
Dear Lisa,

When itineraries show the expression +1 it means that you be arriving on your destination on the next day compared to your origin.

From Sydney to Auckland the time difference is + 2 hours.
From Auckland to Los Angeles the time difference is - 19 hours, so if you depart on a Sunday night e.g 8pm you be arriving in Los Angeles on the same day around 1pm but on the afternoon. Flying time is a litle more than 12 hours.

A good reference site for this is http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

It is really confused, but this is it...

Enjoy your flights!
Best Regards,
R.Gomes

Air Travel

Roberto Gomes